Find Ratio r of R1/R2 in Two-Resistor Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses two resistors of different resistances connected to a voltage source. When connected in series, the current is Is, and when connected in parallel, the current Ip is equal to 10 times Is. The problem is to find the ratio R1/R2, which is denoted as r. The solution involves setting up an expression for voltage in each circuit and equating them, leading to a quadratic equation in R2. After solving, the correct value for r is found to be 0.127.
Yaaaldi

Homework Statement

Two resistors of resistances R1 and R2 , with R2>R1 , are connected to a voltage source with voltage V0 . When the resistors are connected in series, the current is Is . When the resistors are connected in parallel, the current Ip from the source is equal to 10Is

Let r be the ratio R1/R2

Find r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found an expression for voltage in each circuit and then equated them to give me

Is*(R1+R2) = 10Is*((R1*R2)/(R1+R2))

Although from here I'm kind of stuck. I'm not sure how to, or even if I am able to manipulate my equation to get R1/R2. Unfortunately it seems my algebra is letting me down in a lot of physics work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yaaaldi! :smile:

(Remember, they're also both equal to V0)

There's various ways of solving this, but one is to replace R1 by rR2, to get a quadratic equation in R2. :wink:

r^2.R2^2 + rR2^2 + R2^2 = 0

For the quadratic equation in terms of r equation I got a=1, b=1, c=1

if I try to solve this I'll get complex roots..

Have I done something wrong?

Hi Yaaaldi! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Yaaaldi said:
r^2.R2^2 + rR2^2 + R2^2 = 0

How did you get that? :confused:

Nevermind.. somehow managed to forget to write the 10 infront of the rR2^2 on the RHS earlier.

now have a=1 b=-8 and c=1

Solved to get 7.873 and 0.127 for r

and as I know R2>R1

r=0.127

Thanks!

What is a two-resistor circuit?

A two-resistor circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of two resistors connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices and allows for the control and manipulation of electrical current.

What is the purpose of finding the ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit?

The ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit is used to determine the relative resistance of the two resistors. This information is important in understanding the flow of current and voltage in the circuit, as well as in calculating the overall resistance of the circuit.

How do you find the ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit?

To find the ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit, you can use the formula: r = R1/R2. This means that you divide the value of R1 by the value of R2 to get the ratio. The resulting value will be a unitless number that represents the relative resistance of the two resistors.

What factors can affect the ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit?

The ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit can be affected by several factors, such as the type and material of the resistors, the temperature of the circuit, and the placement of the resistors (series or parallel). Additionally, any external factors that may impact the flow of current, such as fluctuations in power supply, can also affect the ratio.

Why is it important to calculate the ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit?

Calculating the ratio r of R1/R2 in a two-resistor circuit is important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and predicting its performance. It also allows for the proper selection and placement of resistors to achieve the desired electrical characteristics in the circuit. Additionally, the ratio can be used to troubleshoot any issues that may arise in the circuit.