Calculate Number of Molecules in 1m^3 Air at STP

In summary, to determine the number of molecules in a cubic meter of air at STP, use the ideal gas law equation PV = NkT with pressure (P) = 1 atm or 101.3 kPa, volume (V) = 1 m^3 or 1000 L, temperature (T) = 273 K, and the universal gas constant (k) = 8.314. Remember to convert moles to molecules when finding N.
derekbeau
Air at STP has pressure p = 1 atm = 1.013 ×105 Pa, and temperature T = 273 K. Use the ideal gas law to determine the number of molecules in a cubic meter of air.

I have tried many different numbers and can't seem to get the correct answer. I guess I should use the formula

PV = NkT

so
P = 1 atm or 101.3 kPa? i tried both
V = 1 m^3 or 1000 L? also tried both
T = 273 K
k = 8.617385 x 10-5 eV/K?

so (101.3 kPa)(1000 L) = N (8.617385 x 10-5 eV/K)(273 K)

do you see what i am doing wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For these units, use k=universal gas constant=R=8.314. I forget the units, but they cancel properly for kPa, L, moles, and Kelvin in the formula. Also remember that when you find N, that is the amount in moles (you must convert to molecules).

no, nRT would give me moles, NkT gives me molecules

nvm you were right, i got wrong info off a webpage

thanks a ton

What is STP?

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure. It is defined as a temperature of 273.15K (0°C) and a pressure of 101.325 kPa (1 atm).

What is the formula for calculating the number of molecules in 1m^3 of air at STP?

The formula for calculating the number of molecules in 1m^3 of air at STP is: N = (PV)/(RT), where N is the number of molecules, P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What is the value of the gas constant (R) in the formula for calculating the number of molecules in 1m^3 of air at STP?

The value of the gas constant (R) is 8.314 J/mol·K.

How many molecules are in 1m^3 of air at STP?

Using the formula N = (PV)/(RT), we can calculate that there are approximately 2.69 x 10^25 molecules in 1m^3 of air at STP.

Why is it important to calculate the number of molecules in 1m^3 of air at STP?

Calculating the number of molecules in 1m^3 of air at STP can help us understand the composition of the air we breathe and its properties. This information is also useful in various scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology.