Reflection from a plane mirror

In summary, you need to place a mirror on the left wall of the figure so that the reflected light from the bulb exactly fills the right wall.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You need to place a mirror on the left wall of the figure so that the reflected light from the bulb exactly fills the right wall.

knight_Figure_23_08.jpg

A) What is the proper height of the mirror?
B) How far below the ceiling should the top edge of the mirror be?

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta_i=\theta_r[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the image I created below. I'm not sure if "height" of the mirror is the height of it from its top to its bottom or if the height is the distance from the floor to the top of the mirror. How do I get theta?

23.8.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the reflected rays as if they came straight out of the mirror image of the lamp.

ehild

ehild,

Thanks for your response. I have redrawn the problem with the ray coming from the image one meter to the left of the mirror. I think I have the setup correct now. Am I trying to find theta_r so I can get the mirror's height? If I get theta_r, how does that help me get the height of the mirror?

238new.jpg

Draw the other ray from the image to the bottom of the wall. The mirror extends between those points of the wall where these rays cross it. But still there will be a shadow of the screen in the middle of the wall.

ehild

Last edited:
What is the vertical position of the bulb? Is it centered between floor and ceiling?

gneill said:
What is the vertical position of the bulb? Is it centered between floor and ceiling?

From the picture, it appears so, but can we assume that... That's another question? If we assume the bulb's vertical position is 1.5m from the floor, then:

[tex]\theta_r=tan^{-1}\left (\frac{1.5}{5}\right )=16.7deg[/tex]

But where do I go from there?

I am trying to calulate the height of the mirror which I believe would be between the two red marks I put in this diagram of the situation:

238newest.jpg

Last edited:
Nvm... Got the height! It was 0.600m which I got from 2*[1*tan(theta_r)]. Thanks all for your help. I guess it's the geometry that got me on this one.

JJBladester said:
Nvm... Got the height! It was 0.600m which I got from 2*[1*tan(theta_r)]. Thanks all for your help. I guess it's the geometry that got me on this one.

The laws of Geometry are valid even for Physics:) .

Remember this method of image.

ehild

1. What is reflection from a plane mirror?

Reflection from a plane mirror is the phenomenon of light bouncing off a smooth, flat surface at the same angle at which it hit the surface. This creates a virtual image that appears to be the same distance behind the mirror as the object is in front of it.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect reflection from a plane mirror?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle between the incident ray and the normal line of the mirror, is equal to the angle of reflection, which is the angle between the reflected ray and the normal line. This means that the angle of incidence directly affects the direction of the reflected light.

3. Why does the reflected image appear to be the same size as the object in a plane mirror?

Because the reflected image is the same distance behind the mirror as the object is in front of it, the size of the image appears to be the same as the object. This is due to the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection and results in a symmetrical reflection of the object.

4. Can a plane mirror produce a real image?

No, a plane mirror can only produce a virtual image, which is an image that appears to be behind the mirror and cannot be projected onto a screen. This is because the reflected rays do not actually converge at a point to form a real image.

5. How does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the size of the reflected image?

The distance between the object and the mirror does not affect the size of the reflected image. The size of the image will always be the same as the size of the object, regardless of the distance between them. However, the perceived distance of the image will change based on the distance between the object and the mirror.