Early universe: equilibrium before nucleosynthesis

In summary, the author is studying the evolution of the universe, and specifically the history of the universe happening just under a temperature of 100 MeV. At this time, it is said that neutrons and protons are present along with some other particles: electrons, positrons, photons, neutrinos and anti-neutrinos. They say the reactions which maintain kinetic equilibrium are: e^- + e^+ <---> photon + photon, e+- + photon <---> e+- + photon, and 裏覚醒tein + e- <---> e- + retein. Meanwhile, the reactions which are responsible for both kinetic and chemical equilibrium are: e^- + e^+ <---> neut
Davide82
Hi.

I am studying the evolution of the universe.
In particular, I am reading the history of the universe happening just under a temperature of 100 MeV.
At this time, it is said that neutrons and protons are present along with some other particles: electrons, positrons, photons, neutrinos and anti-neutrinos.
They say the reactions which maintain kinetic equilibrium are:
[tex]e^- + e^+ \longleftrightarrow \gamma +\gamma[/tex]
[tex]e^\pm + \gamma \longleftrightarrow e^\pm + \gamma[/tex]
while the reactions which are responsible for both kinetic and chemical equilibrium are:
[tex]e^- + e^+ \longleftrightarrow \nu + \bar\nu[/tex]
[tex]\nu + e^- \longleftrightarrow e^- + \nu[/tex]
[tex]n + \nu_e \longleftrightarrow p + e^-[/tex]
[tex]n + e^+ \longleftrightarrow p + \bar\nu_e[/tex]
[tex]n \longleftrightarrow p + e^- + \bar\nu_e[/tex]
I am wondering why reactions such as:
[tex]\nu + \bar\nu \longleftrightarrow \gamma + \gamma[/tex]
[tex]p + e^+ \longleftrightarrow p + e^+[/tex]
[tex]p + e^- \longleftrightarrow n + \nu_e + e^+ + e^-[/tex]
are not taken into account.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry that the TeX-interpreter doesn't seem to render my post...

here it is in a more readable manner:

I am studying the evolution of the universe.
In particular, I am reading the history of the universe happening just under a temperature of 100 MeV.
At this time, it is said that neutrons and protons are present along with some other particles: electrons, positrons, photons, neutrinos and anti-neutrinos.
They say the reactions which maintain kinetic equilibrium are:

e- + e+ <---> photon + photon
e+- + photon <---> e+- + photon

while the reactions which are responsible for both kinetic and chemical equilibrium are:

e- + e+ <---> neutrino + anti-neutrino
neutrino + e- <---> e- + neutrino
n + neutrino(e) <---> p + e-
n + e+ <---> p + anti-neutrino(e)
n <---> p + e- + anti-neutrino(e)

I am wondering why reactions such as:

neutrino + anti-neutrino <---> photon + photon
p + e+ <---> p + e+
p + e- <---> n + anti-neutrino(e) + e+ + e-

are not taken into account.

oh, now the first post with TeX has been fixed!

I would assume the cross sections for those last three reactions to be negligibly small. Especially the ones involving neutrinos.

I am still digging...
I believe the [tex]\nu + \bar\nu \longleftrightarrow \gamma + \gamma[/tex] is forbidden by the model.
The second maybe is not interesting because the other reactions already take care of the kinetic equilibrium of protons and electrons.
Since these reactions are brought up to make some calculations about their frequencies, maybe the last reaction is not needed because its cross section is similar to the other expressions involving protons and neutrons and the only difference would be the phase space in which the mass of the electron would play a small role? So, basically, we are accounting for it in the others?

I would like to post my question in the astrophysics section of the forum, but I don't know if I am allowed to, or this is considered a bad cross-posting...

1. What is the early universe and why is it important?

The early universe refers to the period of time in the history of the universe immediately after the Big Bang, when the universe was hot and dense. It is important because it allows us to understand the origins of the universe and how it evolved over time.

2. What is equilibrium in the context of the early universe?

In the context of the early universe, equilibrium refers to a state where the energy and matter in the universe are evenly distributed, allowing for a steady and balanced temperature. This is necessary for the process of nucleosynthesis, which is the creation of elements in the universe.

3. How did equilibrium occur in the early universe before nucleosynthesis?

Equilibrium in the early universe was achieved through a process called thermalization, where particles interacted and exchanged energy until they reached a uniform temperature. This was possible due to the high energy and density of the early universe.

4. What is nucleosynthesis and why is it important?

Nucleosynthesis is the process by which elements were formed in the early universe through nuclear reactions. It is important because it explains the abundance of elements in the universe and provides evidence for the Big Bang theory.

5. How long did equilibrium last in the early universe before nucleosynthesis?

The exact duration of equilibrium in the early universe before nucleosynthesis is not known, but it is estimated to have lasted for about 20 minutes after the Big Bang. As the universe expanded and cooled, equilibrium was disrupted and nucleosynthesis began.