How to Calculate Energy Dissipated by a Resistor with Changing Current

In summary, The switch in the figure above has been in position 'a' for a very long time and then flipped to position 'b' for a period of 1.25 ms before returning to 'a'. The energy dissipated by the 50 Ohm resistor can be calculated by first finding the charge accumulated on the capacitor and then using an LC circuit equation. However, in the given attempt, the current through the resistor was assumed to be constant, resulting in a significantly incorrect answer of 16.245 J. The correct answer is 23 mJ.
mstrobel
I have the solution to this problem, but I can't figure out how to solve it for the life of me. I'd appreciate any assistance:

Image: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~strobel/problem.gif

The switch in the figure above has been in position 'a' for a very long time. It is suddenly flipped to position 'b' for a period of 1.25 ms, then back to 'a'. How much energy is dissipated by the 50 Ohm resistor?

The solution is 23 mJ.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find out how much charge has accumulated on the capacitor then solve the equation for an LC circuit given that charge as your inititial condition.

That seemed like the logical place to start, but it seems I messed up somewhere after that. Here's my attempt to solve it:

At position ‘a’:
Q = C*EMF = (20*10^-6 F)(50 V) = 0.001 C

At position ‘b’:
Q_0 = 0.001 C
Q = Q_0*e^(-t/(R*C)) = 0.001*e^((-0.00125)/(50 * 20*10^-6)) = 0.000287
dQ = 0.000287 – 0.001 = -0.000713
I = -dQ/dt = 0.000713/0.00125 = 0.570 A

P_R = I*V_R = (I^2)(R) = (0.570^2)(50) = 16.245 J

Quite a bit off... any idea where I went wrong?

One problem is that the current through the resistor is not a constant.

What is energy dissipation?

Energy dissipation is the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy. In the case of a resistor, this occurs due to the resistance to the flow of electrical current, resulting in a release of heat energy.

How is energy dissipated by a resistor?

Energy is dissipated by a resistor through the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy. This occurs due to the collisions between electrons and atoms within the resistor, which results in the release of heat energy.

What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated by a resistor?

The amount of energy dissipated by a resistor is affected by the resistance value, the amount of current flowing through the resistor, and the duration of the current flow. Additionally, factors such as the material and size of the resistor can also impact the amount of energy dissipated.

Why is energy dissipation important in electronic circuits?

Energy dissipation is important in electronic circuits because it helps prevent damage to components by limiting the amount of current and heat that flows through them. It also plays a crucial role in circuit design and helps regulate the flow of electricity.

How is the energy dissipated by a resistor calculated?

The energy dissipated by a resistor can be calculated using the formula E = I^2 * R * t, where E is energy dissipated in Joules (J), I is current in amperes (A), R is resistance in ohms (Ω), and t is time in seconds (s). Alternatively, the energy dissipated can also be calculated using the formula E = V^2 / R, where V is voltage in volts (V).