What is the moment of inertia for a rod with an attached mass at the end?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a system consisting of a rod of length L and mass m pivoted at one end with a point particle of mass m attached to the free end. The moment of inertia of the rod about an end is given by Irod = 1/3 mL2. The conversation mentions using the parallel axis theorem to find the total moment of inertia around the pivot point, but then suggests thinking about the problem differently and calculating the total moment of inertia as the sum of the individual moments of inertia of the rod and point particle, using a simple formula.
trivk96

Homework Statement

Consider a rod of length L and mass m which
is pivoted at one end. The moment of inertia
of the rod about an end is Irod = 1/3 mL2. An object with mass m is attached to the free end of the rod.

Find the moment of inertia of the system
with respect to the pivot point. Consider
the mass at the end of the rod to be a point
particle.

I tried a lot of different things and now I only get one more try. I need help. Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

Irod = 1/3 mL2.
I=Icm+mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you have to use the Parrallel axis theorem ( I=Icm+mr2). But I am stuck here.

Attachments

• moment inertia.bmp
    198.7 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of inertia is the sum of all the masses times the square of their distance from the pivot. Someone has already summed all the masses in the rod itself to get 1/3 mL². You just have to add the one additional contribution from the point particle at the end of the rod.

I guess you could use parallel axis theorem. You would need to find where the centre of mass is (to determine r in your equation). And you would need to find the inertia around the centre of mass. So you still have a similar problem, so I don't think parallel axis theorem helps much.

I think you should try thinking differently about the problem. You want to find the moment of inertia around the pivot point. You are told the moment of inertia due to the rod and you can work out the moment of inertia due to the point particle.

So once you have these, you effectively have two moments of inertia which contribute to the total moment of inertia. Do you know how to calculate the total moment of inertia? (Hint, its a simple formula).

Edit: Sorry, I started writing before Delphi51 made the post. I don't mean to be treading on toes. (if that's the right expression...)

I appreciate it, Bruce! I think it was you who bailed me out of a mistake this morning.
And great for the OP to get two different views.

yep, that's a lucky OP'er. I am pretty tired right now. I think I'll go to sleep, or I am bound to make a mistake soon!

thank you

What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that measures its resistance to rotational motion around an axis.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the importance of finding the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is important in determining how an object will behave when subjected to rotational forces. It also helps in designing structures and machines that require stability and balance.

What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of an object. Objects with larger mass and greater distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia.

How is moment of inertia used in real-life applications?

Moment of inertia is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing vehicles and calculating the stability of buildings and bridges. It is also used in sports, such as determining the moment of inertia of a golf club to improve its performance.