Understanding PDE: Parallel Plate Motion with Newtonian and Incompressible Fluid

• Thread starter skhan84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of two parallel plates, one static and one porous and in motion. The bottom plate has two types of motion: oscillating with velocity Uo*e^(iwt) and moving forward with constant velocity Co. This motion causes Newtonian and incompressible fluid to be injected with velocity Wo. The velocity field is given by V=[u(y,t), Wo, 0], with boundary conditions u(0,t)=Uo*e^(iwt) and u(d,t)=0 and initial conditions u(y,0)=0. The "Galilean transform" is used to solve the equations, resulting in U(Y,t)=(Uo-Co)*sin(K*Y)+Uo*e^(i
skhan84
There are two parallel plates, upper plate is static and bottom plate is porous and in motion. At the same time there are types of motion in bottom plate. Plate is oscillating with velocity Uo*e^(iwt) and also moving forward along X-Axis with constant velocity Co. Due to motion in plate Newtonian and Imcompressible fluid is injected with velocity Wo
Velocity field is given
V=[u(y,t),Wo,0]
BC's: u(0,t)=Uo*e^(iwt)
u(d,t)=0
IC's: u(y,0)=0
In the start we used the "Galilean transform"
Let y=Y-c0t

Physics news on Phys.org
u(y,t)=U(Y,t)Then U(Y,t)=Uo*e^(iwt)-CoBC's: U(0,t)=Uo*e^(iwt)-CoU(d-c0t,t)=0IC's: U(Y,0)=Uo-CoThen we solved the equations to get U(Y,t)=(Uo-Co)*sin(K*Y)+Uo*e^(iwt)*cos(K*Y)-Co*e^(iwt)where K=(w/c0)^0.5Now I am stuck how to get velocity field from this? Please help me.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function of multiple variables. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena, such as heat diffusion or wave propagation.

2. How do I make a simple PDE?

To make a simple PDE, you need to first identify the independent variables, dependent variables, and any coefficients or parameters that may be involved. Then, you can use the appropriate rules for partial differentiation to construct the equation.

3. What are some common types of PDEs?

Some common types of PDEs include the heat equation, wave equation, Laplace equation, and diffusion equation. These equations are used to model various phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. How do I solve a PDE?

Solving a PDE can be done using a variety of techniques, such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or numerical methods. The approach used will depend on the specific form of the PDE and the boundary conditions given.

5. Can I use software to help me make a PDE?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help with constructing and solving PDEs. Some examples include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. It is important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles of PDEs before using software to ensure accurate results.