Calculating the Length of a Segment Joining Centers of Inscribed Circles

• Thread starter Chikawakajones
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of the segment joining the centers of two adjacent squares with areas of 4 cm^2 and 196 cm^2. There is a disagreement about the correct method, but ultimately the correct answer is determined to be the square root of 106, or approximately 10 cm. One person suggests constructing a right-angled triangle to find the length, while another person suggests a simpler method involving the radii of the circles inscribed in the squares. The conversation also includes some incorrect calculations and a humorous reminder to not do math late at night.
Chikawakajones
The Area Of These 2 Adjacent Squares Are 4 cm^2 and 196 cm^2.

Find The Length Of The Segment Joining The Centers Of Their Inscribed Circled

Attachments

• dfddffffdghhdfdfghd.jpg
    dfddffffdghhdfdfghd.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
it's the square root of four plus the square root of 196 and all that over two

does anyone agree/disagree?

I disagree.

Hint: Construct a right-angled triangle with the connecting segment as its hyp

tell me step by step...

It will be the hypotenuse of a triangle whose sides are (14-2)/2 and (14+2)/2.

Last edited:
make a triangle using the line as the hypotenuse

side 1:

Get the radius of the big circle and subtract the radius of the small circle. Giving you 7 - 1 = 6

side 2:

Get the radius of the big and the small circle.
Giving you 7 + 1 = 8

Hopefully you can solve the problem now.

Last edited by a moderator:
let me see ..
draw two lines, one from each center perpendicular to the bottom side (as in the figure ) Then draw a line parallel to the bottom line through the center of the smaller circle.. Then u will see a
right angled triangle formed with hypotenuse being the line connecting the two centers ...
u can now very easiy find the length of thwo sides and hence that of the hypotenuse ..

answer = sqrt (6^2+8^2) = 10

youre making it all more complicated, the center of an inscribed circle is righ in the center of the square so the distance from the center to one side is the half of what the whole length of the square is so you need to square root the areas given to find the lengths divide each length by two, and add them together, the answer should be nine

theriddler876 said:
youre making it all more complicated, the center of an inscribed circle is righ in the center of the square so the distance from the center to one side is the half of what the whole length of the square is so you need to square root the areas given to find the lengths divide each length by two, and add them together, the answer should be nine

That's simple alright! It just suffers from the minor problem of being wrong.

It would be correct IF the line through the denters were parallel to the sides- but that's not true.

hmnn so the squares make more of a stairstep and not a pyramid.

What pyramid??This is plane geometry...
My answer is
[tex] d=\sqrt{106} [/tex]
The question is:"how did I get that??"

Daniel.

mahesh_2961 said:
let me see ..
draw two lines, one from each center perpendicular to the bottom side (as in the figure ) Then draw a line parallel to the bottom line through the center of the smaller circle.. Then u will see a
right angled triangle formed with hypotenuse being the line connecting the two centers ...
u can now very easiy find the length of thwo sides and hence that of the hypotenuse ..

answer = sqrt (6^2+8^2) = 10

Good method,bad answer.

theriddler876 said:

1.Wrong answer,wrong method.
2.There's more common the expression "perimeter of a square".Similar,the"circumference of a circle".

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Good method,bad answer...

Daniel.
No your answer was wrong... Mahesh's was the right one.

Here's where you went wrong:

106 = 9^2 + 5^2

wrong numbers. You forgot that the radius of the smaller circle is only 1 not 2.
Thus 7-1 = 6 not 7-2.

As well 7+1 = 8 not 7+2.

I agree with Mahesh's answer...

Yeah,you're right,sorry,it must be because it's almost 2 am. :blushing:
Advice:don't do math at 2 am. :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What steps should I take to solve this problem?

When faced with a problem, it is important to approach it systematically. Start by clearly defining the problem and gathering all relevant information. Then, brainstorm possible solutions and evaluate their potential effectiveness. Once you have chosen a solution, create a plan of action and implement it. Finally, reflect on the results and make any necessary adjustments.

2. Can you provide me with some resources to help me understand this problem better?

Absolutely. There are many resources available to help you better understand a problem. You can start by doing some online research or consulting textbooks, articles, or academic journals. You can also seek guidance from experts in the field or attend workshops or seminars related to the topic.

3. How can I prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

To prevent similar problems from occurring in the future, it is important to identify the root cause of the problem. This can involve analyzing past events and identifying any patterns or common factors. Once the root cause is determined, you can take steps to address it, such as implementing new processes or procedures, training employees, or making changes to systems or equipment.

4. What should I do if I am unable to solve this problem on my own?

If you are unable to solve a problem on your own, it is important to seek help from others. This could include consulting with colleagues, reaching out to experts in the field, or seeking assistance from a mentor or supervisor. Collaboration and brainstorming with others can often lead to new insights and potential solutions.

5. How can I stay motivated while trying to solve a difficult problem?

Solving a difficult problem can be challenging and it is normal to feel frustrated or discouraged at times. To stay motivated, it can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable tasks. Celebrate small victories and remind yourself of the ultimate goal. It can also be beneficial to take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and recharge before returning to the problem with a fresh perspective.