12v dc small motor, speed control,

In summary: They should have what you need.Hi Pantaz,Thanks for your reply. I've found servocity.com and they have the part I need listed as a Gear Motor. I'll order it and be sure to post back with results. Thanks!In summary, the individual motors for a roof light for an American police car must be run at a slower speed than the supply from the battery.
polmech
Hi anyone
I have 7 small 12v dc motors RF-500 TB, max efficiency 0.08 amp max speed 2180 rpm.
These motors are just holding plastic reflectors of an american police car's roof barlight, they are individually fitted in separate pods with their own 50 watt bulbs.
I need 5 pods to spin slower than the other 2, but all to spin a lot slower than when the cars 12v supply is added from the battery ( 2180 rpm the reflctor would take off!).
I have asked several parts distributors, They can supply the part but can't tell me what part i need ( Head against brick wall).Any help with what i need and where to get it would be really really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mat

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shouldn't be a terribly difficult project. Since the load on the motors is constant, a simple voltage or current regulator can probably do the trick.

Some additional info will help:
Do the motors need to run synchronously (as a set of 5, and/or the "faster" pair), or can the speed vary a small amount between each motor?

Define "a lot slower" -- 10 rpm, 100 rpm, 1000 rpm?

Is this a one-time project, a couple of dozen units, or continuing production?

Are these the motors? http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_238511_-1

i think you'll want gear-motors.

Hi pantaz, Thanks for your reply.
I would need the 5 to run about 100 rpm and the other 2 about 50 rpm if poss, and no they don't have to be spot on synchronised really.
This is a one time project for now and a learning curve for me. It is a traffic cop friend of mines american police car that he run's for fun for shows etc.
The motor in your link looks like the one.
Thanks for your interest.
Mat

I'd try servocity.com and look for gearmotors.

1. What is a 12v dc small motor?

A 12v dc small motor is a direct current motor that operates on 12 volts of electrical power. It is typically smaller in size compared to other motors and can be used in a variety of applications such as robotics, small appliances, and automotive systems.

2. How does speed control work on a 12v dc small motor?

Speed control on a 12v dc small motor is typically achieved by adjusting the voltage supplied to the motor. Lowering the voltage will result in a decrease in speed, while increasing the voltage will increase the speed. Some motors also have built-in speed control mechanisms, such as variable resistors or pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers.

3. What are the advantages of using a 12v dc small motor?

One of the main advantages of using a 12v dc small motor is its compact size, making it suitable for use in smaller devices and tight spaces. It also has a simple design and is easy to control, with the option for speed control. Additionally, 12v dc motors are more energy-efficient compared to their AC counterparts.

4. Can a 12v dc small motor be used for heavy-duty applications?

While a 12v dc small motor may not be as powerful as larger motors, it can still be used for some light to medium-duty applications. However, it is not recommended for heavy-duty applications as it may overheat and cause damage to the motor. It is best to check the motor's specifications and recommended usage before use.

5. How do I choose the right 12v dc small motor for my project?

When choosing a 12v dc small motor, consider factors such as the required speed and torque for your project, the size and weight limitations, and the type of power supply available. It is also important to check the motor's specifications to ensure it is suitable for your application and to consider the reputation and quality of the manufacturer.