A circle tranforming into ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the angle of inclination and eccentricity of an ellipse when a circle is projected orthogonally onto a parallel plane. The formula for finding the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse is provided, but there is a question about how to prove that a circle projected at an angle becomes an ellipse. The suggestion is made to view the projection as a cylinder, with the angle of the second plane intersecting the cylinder. The ultimate goal is to prove that non-uniform scaling of a circle results in an ellipse.
vin300
I don't know what category this question falls into. I have two parallel planes, on one I draw a circle and on the other I project it orthogonally. Now I incline the plane with the circle. The projection on the other plane will be an ellipse. I need to find out, the relationship between the angle of inclination and the eccentricity of the ellipse.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've figured it out. If a is the semi-major axis, b is the semi-minor axis of the ellipse and r is the radius of the circle, then a= r and b= rcosθ (θ is the angle of inclination). Now it isn't difficult to find the eccentricity of the ellipse. But.. how to prove that an inclined projection of a circle is an ellipse in the first place?

Look at the projection of a circle between parallel planes as a cylinder. then the angle of the second plane intersects the cylinder.

I was looking for a mathematical proof of "a non-uniform scaling of a circle changes its shape into an ellipse".

I would first like to clarify that this question falls under the category of geometry and specifically, the study of conic sections. The transformation of a circle into an ellipse is a common phenomenon in mathematics and physics, and it can be explained using principles of geometry and trigonometry.

To understand the relationship between the angle of inclination and the eccentricity of the ellipse, we must first define these terms. The angle of inclination refers to the angle at which the plane with the circle is tilted or inclined, while the eccentricity of an ellipse is a measure of how "oval" or "stretched out" the ellipse is compared to a perfect circle. A circle has an eccentricity of 0, while an ellipse can have an eccentricity ranging from 0 to 1.

Now, as the plane with the circle is inclined, the projection of the circle on the other plane will change from a perfect circle to an ellipse. This happens because the projection of the circle on the inclined plane appears to be "squashed" due to the angle of inclination. The more the plane is inclined, the more "squashed" the projection will be, resulting in a higher eccentricity of the ellipse.

To find the exact relationship between the angle of inclination and the eccentricity of the ellipse, we can use trigonometric functions such as cosine and sine. By considering the angle of inclination as the angle of elevation, we can use the cosine function to calculate the ratio of the horizontal and vertical lengths of the projection. This ratio will be equal to the eccentricity of the ellipse.

In summary, the angle of inclination and the eccentricity of an ellipse have a direct relationship, where as the angle of inclination increases, the eccentricity of the ellipse also increases. This can be explained using principles of geometry and trigonometry, and it is a common phenomenon in the study of conic sections.

1. What is the difference between a circle and an ellipse?

The main difference between a circle and an ellipse is the shape. A circle is a perfectly round shape, while an ellipse is elongated and has two distinct focal points. Another difference is that all points on a circle are equidistant from the center, while the distance from the focal points to any point on an ellipse varies.

2. How does a circle transform into an ellipse?

A circle can transform into an ellipse through a process called deformation. This occurs when the circle is stretched or compressed along a particular axis, causing the distance from the focal points to any point on the circle to vary. This results in the circle becoming an ellipse.

3. What causes a circle to transform into an ellipse?

The main factor that causes a circle to transform into an ellipse is the stretching or compression of the shape along a particular axis. This can be done manually or through natural processes such as gravity or forces acting on the object.

4. Can a circle transform into an ellipse without changing its size?

No, a circle cannot transform into an ellipse without changing its size. As mentioned before, the distance from the focal points to any point on an ellipse varies, while the distance from the center to any point on a circle remains constant. Therefore, the size of the shape must change in order for it to transform into an ellipse.

5. What are the real-world applications of a circle transforming into an ellipse?

The transformation of a circle into an ellipse has various real-world applications. For example, it is used in engineering and architecture to design curved structures, in astronomy to track the paths of celestial bodies, and in optics to study the properties of light. It is also used in art and design to create visually appealing shapes and patterns.