Applying Physics to my workout

• Thread starter JasonL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is trying to calculate how many miles they would need to run to burn off a specific number of calories. However, there is a problem with this approach as running at a constant speed does not result in work being done. Instead, the individual should look for studies or charts that provide information on the work output of runners during exercise to get a more accurate calculation.
JasonL
Ok,

First off this isn't a book problem so I'm not really sure if it can be solved. I just kinda dreamed this up one day while deciding to count the calories in my lunch + breakfast. It should work..if I thought everything through, and I can live with a few simplying assumptions. Anyhow, I totaled the calories I eat in 2 meals, and I want to find how many miles I would have to run to "burn" of these calories(Springbreak saw me gain 5lbs :yuck:).

Ok so,

If my total calories are 1,146c, so that's 4798j. (1calorie = 4.187j)
My distance is 1mi or 1609m
My weight is 217lb or 97.65kg

Now,
My question is, if I find the work done by moving a 97kg mass 1609meters in joules, and then dividing by my calorie intake (in joules)...does this give me what I want?

If so,

Can anyone give me some pointers as to setting up a free body diagram/ finding the work

If not,

Could some one point out the holes in this problem, or do I scrap it completely

Again,

All I want to do is find how many miles I would have to run to burn the calories aforementioned.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but there is a problem. Work is only down on an object when a mass is accelerated. If you run at a constant speed, there is no work being down. Well not really, your legs are moving up and down, your body is producing heat, and there is work done against friction (more than you would think). What you need to do is find studies that have tested the work output of runners. There are charts called basal metabalism charts (spelled something like that anyway) that will give work done versus hard excercise. This will give you a much more accurate calculation.

It's great that you're applying physics to your workout routine! Yes, you can use physics principles to calculate the distance you would need to run to burn a certain number of calories. Here's how you can approach it:

1. First, let's start with the concept of work. Work is defined as force applied over a distance. In this case, the force is your body weight (which is actually a force due to gravity) and the distance is the distance you run.

2. To calculate work, you can use the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In this case, the force would be your body weight in Newtons (N) and the distance would be the distance you run in meters (m).

3. Now, let's convert your weight from pounds to Newtons. 1 pound = 4.45 Newtons. So your weight of 217 pounds would be equivalent to 966.65 Newtons.

4. Next, let's calculate the work done by your body weight during the run. Let's assume you run on a flat surface, so the force of gravity would be acting straight down (perpendicular to the ground). In this case, the work done by your body weight would be the product of your weight in Newtons and the distance you run in meters. So, W = 966.65 N x 1609 m = 1,554,508.85 Joules (J).

5. Now, let's convert this work into calories. 1 calorie = 4.187 Joules. So, the work done by your body weight during the run is equivalent to 371,456.5 calories.

6. Finally, let's divide this by your total calorie intake of 1,146 calories. This gives us a value of 324.3. This means that you would need to run approximately 324.3 miles to burn off the calories consumed in your two meals.

One important thing to note is that this calculation is based on ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as metabolism, intensity of the workout, and other individual factors. So, it's always best to consult a professional for personalized workout and nutrition advice.

I hope this helps and good luck with your workout routine!

1. How can physics be applied to my workout?

Physics can be applied to your workout in various ways. It can help you understand the principles behind exercises, determine the amount of force needed to perform a movement, and optimize your training for maximum efficiency and results.

2. What is the role of physics in exercise and fitness?

Physics plays a crucial role in exercise and fitness. It helps us understand the mechanics of movement, the effects of gravity and resistance on our bodies, and the energy required for various activities.

3. How can I use physics to improve my performance in sports?

By understanding the principles of physics, you can improve your performance in sports. For example, knowing how to transfer energy efficiently can help you run faster or jump higher. Additionally, understanding the laws of motion can help you improve your technique and prevent injuries.

4. What are some examples of how physics can be applied to specific exercises?

Physics can be applied to almost every exercise. For instance, when lifting weights, physics principles such as force, work, and power come into play. In running, the laws of motion and gravity affect your stride and speed. Even in activities like yoga, physics is involved in maintaining balance and stability.

5. How can I use physics to prevent injuries during my workout?

By understanding the principles of physics, you can prevent injuries during your workout. For example, knowing how to distribute force and maintain proper form can reduce the risk of strain or sprain. Additionally, understanding the impact of gravity on your body can help you avoid overexertion and potential injuries.