Calculate the angle of the neutral axis from the x-axis

In summary, the homework statement is that to calculate the angle of the neutral axis from the x-axis when the beam is loaded with a positive couple of 6kNm acting around the X-axis, you need to use the unsymmetric bending equation.
vtaela

Homework Statement

Calculate the angle of the neutral axis from the x-axis when the beam is loaded with a positive couple of 6kNm acting around the X-axis

Homework Equations

i have calculated:
Ixx: 2854758.6 mm^4
Iyy: 1429034.6 mm^4
Ixy: -1143476 mm^4

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that to calculate the angle:

tanθ= - (IxxMy -IxyMx)/(IyyMx-IxyMy)

since i am confused with the statement "positive couple of 6kNm acting around the X-axis"

does that mean that Mx= 6KNm?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ya got any pictures of this problem?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1363452818.241318.jpg

This is the the question

Mx is a couple which is acting as a bending moment on the cross section.

vtaela said:
Does that mean Mx = 6KNm?
That is correct.

(1) By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 6 kN, not 6kN. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

(2) The unit symbol for kiloNewton is spelled kN, not KN. Capital K means kelvin.

(3) Two unit symbols multiplied together cannot be written together, and must be separated by, e.g., an asterisk or a space. E.g., kN*m or kN m, not kNm.

Last edited:
Thank u! I will have it in mind! In addition my ixy when i calculate it is positive and when i got the answer from solidworks i get a negative value! Which one is the correct?

vtaela: Although I have not tried it, it looks like Ixy perhaps should be positive. I do not know what SolidWorks is doing. Ensure your positive axes are pointing in the correct direction in SolidWorks.

Thank you very much

vtaela said:

Homework Equations

i have calculated:
Ixx: 2854758.6 mm^4
Iyy: 1429034.6 mm^4
Ixy: -1143476 mm^4

I got this except the Ixy was plus 1143476. Is this what you got when you did it again?

Yes i calculates a positive ixy and a positive 38.66 degree

When calculating the maximum stress did you use the unsymmetric bending equation? If you did what did you use as your x and y co-ordinates to input in that equation?

X = -13.78 and y+= 38.11 getting a maximum stress of 136.7119

How did you get them? Did you draw it out or is there a way to calculate them?

Actually think i understand it.

X = Xc - bredth of rectangle 1
Y = height of rectangle 1 - Yc

That how you got them?

Yes that's right

Are you sure about your final stress value? I get 151.9855 N/mm^2 every time.

I've tried using hand calculations as well as using excel to double check the values and get that everytime.

Take a picture of what you have done to compare the solution! I will reply tmr since i am not home now

Heres my solution.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 580
Same procedure except i used a positive Mx

Any idea how to do question 1 of the coursework?:p

Can you stick a pic of your solution up please. I completely missed the positive couple part in the question so can see where the positive mx comes from but now i now get -117.879 - 34.1061 = -151.99! Absolute nightmare haha.

Haha no idea, think everyone is stumped with that one.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1364731019.105529.jpg

Cheers, i think you have your x and the y mixed up at the end. You have -3.09x + 2.475y when it should be -3.09y + 2.475x according to the equation?

Yes you are right thank you for that

No problem

1. What is the neutral axis?

The neutral axis is an imaginary line that divides a cross-sectional area into two equal parts, such that the moments of inertia of the two parts are equal.

2. How is the angle of the neutral axis calculated?

The angle of the neutral axis is calculated using the formula tan(θ) = C/I, where C is the distance from the neutral axis to the centroid of the cross-sectional area and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area about the neutral axis.

3. Why is it important to calculate the angle of the neutral axis?

Calculating the angle of the neutral axis is important in structural engineering and mechanics because it helps determine the stress and strain distribution in a member subjected to bending. This information is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity and stability of a building or structure.

4. What factors affect the angle of the neutral axis?

The angle of the neutral axis is affected by the shape and size of the cross-sectional area, as well as the distribution of material within the cross-section. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the applied loads can also influence the angle of the neutral axis.

5. Can the angle of the neutral axis be negative?

Yes, the angle of the neutral axis can be negative. A negative angle indicates that the neutral axis is located below the x-axis, which is common in certain asymmetrical cross-sectional shapes.