More Help yet again with Solving differential equations

In summary: You are correct, the equation gives you the velocity. You need to integrate the equation to get the distance traveled.
$id
Hi i posted last time about solving an equation regarding air resistance being proportional to the speed

This time i need it to be proportional to the speed squared

I have managed to get an equation but haven't managed to solve it yet

dv/dt -(k/m)v^2 = g

Any ideas on how to solve this. I have tried all the methods i know, I think i need to substitute in. I will need more than just a hint here guys

Thanks a lot

sid

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is seperable (you can separate v and t). Any first order seperable equation can be reduced to a problem of indefinite integration:

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{g - \frac{k}{m} v^2} = t + Const. [/tex]

[tex] v^\prime = g + \frac{k}{m}v^2 \Longrightarrow \frac{v^\prime}{\frac{k}{m}v^2 + g} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\Longrightarrow \int \frac{dv}{\frac{k}{m}v^2 + g} = \frac{m}{k} \int \frac{dv}{v^2 + \frac{gm}{k}} = \sqrt{\frac{m}{kg}} \arctan \left(v \sqrt{\frac{k}{mg} \right) = t + C[/tex]

[tex] \Longrightarrow \arctan \left(v \sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}} \right) = \sqrt{\frac{kg}{m}}(t+C) \Longrightarrow v \sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}} = \tan \left( \sqrt{\frac{kg}{m}}(t+C)\right)[/tex]

[tex] \Longrightarrow v = \sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}} \tan \left( \sqrt{\frac{kg}{m}}(t+C)\right)[/tex]

$id said:
Hi i posted last time about solving an equation regarding air resistance being proportional to the speed

This time i need it to be proportional to the speed squared

I have managed to get an equation but haven't managed to solve it yet

dv/dt -(k/m)v^2 = g

Any ideas on how to solve this. I have tried all the methods i know, I think i need to substitute in. I will need more than just a hint here guys

Thanks a lot

sid

A bit weird not to include among "all the methods" the separation of variables,which is the simplest possible. :rolleyes:

Anyway,i hope you understood the solution Data gave you.

Daniel.

Hmm i can follow Data logic despite never have seen anything like that before,

I guess now the main problem is that equation gives me the velocity. for the model i am making the data readings are distances at a given time. Hence I will most probably to integrate that beast.

All i know is that integral of tanx = - ln(cos x) + c or - ln (sec^2 x) or something like that

sid

[tex]\int \tan x \ dx=-\ln|\cos x|+C [/tex] it can be proven using the definition of tangent & the substitution [itex]\cos x=u [/itex].

Daniel.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model and describe various phenomena in science and engineering, such as motion, growth, and change. They are also used to solve problems that involve rates of change.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to describe and understand various natural phenomena in many different fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are also used to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. What is the process for solving differential equations?

The process for solving differential equations involves several steps. First, the equation must be classified as either linear or nonlinear. Then, the appropriate solution technique must be chosen, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. Finally, the solution must be checked and any necessary initial or boundary conditions must be applied.

4. What are some common challenges when solving differential equations?

Some common challenges when solving differential equations include identifying the correct solution technique, determining the appropriate initial or boundary conditions, and dealing with complex equations that may require advanced mathematical techniques. It is also important to check the solution for accuracy and to be aware of any potential pitfalls, such as singularities or non-unique solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications, including predicting the spread of diseases, modeling population growth, designing control systems for vehicles and machines, and analyzing the behavior of fluids and gases. They are also used in economics, finance, and other social sciences to model and predict various phenomena, such as stock market fluctuations and population dynamics.