Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia

• Thread starter flower76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a standard Atwood's pulley with two different masses suspended on either side, and an accelerating cart with a weight attached on the other side of the pulley. The moment of inertia was calculated from the experimental data, but the moment of inertia for the accelerating cart was found to be considerably smaller than for the Atwood's pulley. There is confusion about why this is the case, and it is suggested that there may be an error in the calculations. The difference in forces and acceleration between the two setups is also mentioned as a possible explanation for the difference in moment of inertia. The group seeks clarification on this matter.
flower76
Ok I've done an experiment in which both a standard Atwood's pulley was used, two different masses suspended on either side of the pulley. And an accelerating cart, where the cart was on a horizontal surface, and a weight was attached on the other side of the pulley hanging down. The mass was kept constant by transferring weight from one mass to the other.

From the experimental data I made graphs of force vs acceleration, and was able to calculate the moment of inertia.

Here is my question, I found that the moment of inertia found for the accelerating car is considerably smaller than for the Atwood’s pulley. But I really don't know how to explain the significance of this.

Anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you used the same pulley, shouldn't the moment of inertia be the same??

For a circular disc the Moment of inertia is [tex] I = \frac{1}{2} ML^2 [/tex] where L is the radial vector about which the torque is exerted. But in btoh your described cases the moment of inertia is the same since the string is wrapped around the pulley's end (am i right in assuming this?)

Perhasp you have made an error in calculations?

One is suspended over and therefore the force is based on the mass difference between the weights. And in the other case, because the horizontal surface is perpendicular to the movement of m2 which is suspended on the other side, the force is only a result of m2 and gravity. This somehow changes the acceleration, and therefore the inertia. I think?

Anyone know if I'm on the right track here?

1. What is Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia?

Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia is a physical quantity that describes the resistance of a pulley to rotational motion. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the amount of force needed to rotate a pulley.

2. How is Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia calculated?

The formula for calculating Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia is I = mR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pulley, and R is the radius of the pulley.

3. What are the units of Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia?

The units of Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia are kilograms times meters squared (kg*m^2).

4. How does Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia affect the movement of a pulley?

The higher the moment of inertia, the more resistance a pulley will have to rotational motion. This means that more force will be required to rotate the pulley.

5. What are some real-life applications of Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia?

Atwood's pulley-moment of inertia is used in many real-life applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. It is also important in understanding the movement of objects on an inclined plane and in analyzing the motion of rotating bodies.