Overunity from Heating and Cooling

In summary, overunity from heating and cooling refers to the concept of generating more energy than what is put into a system through the use of heat transfer. This is achieved by harnessing the energy from temperature differences and converting it into usable energy. While overunity is often considered to be a violation of the laws of thermodynamics, some researchers have claimed to have achieved it through various methods such as using heat pumps, thermoelectric materials, and phase change materials. While the concept of overunity remains controversial and has not been widely accepted by the scientific community, its potential for increasing energy efficiency and reducing reliance on non-renewable energy sources makes it an area of continued research and development.
etherist
The kinetic energy of gas molecules or atoms is: (3/2)kTN/M where k is Boltzman constant, T is absolute temperature, N is avogadros number and M is molecular weight. The formula is derived from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory.
Assume that the gas is steam with M = 18 kg/mol at 373K, it is equivalent to approximately 260 J/kg but suppose i cool the steam up to 40C based on Cdt + Lf (C is specific heat, dt is change in temperature and Lf is latent heat of vaporization), it becomes an overunity of 10420 more effective. From what assumption or derivation I am wrong? or if I'm right where does the excess energy came from?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
That is the AVERAGE kinetic energy! It is a statistical ensemble derived via Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution!

Zz.

Likes 1 person
yes i compute the average kinetic energy of the molecules and then i multiply it with the total number of molecules using avogadros number and molecular weight so i computed the total kinetic energy1 kg steam of approximately 260 J, which is very small.

I actually computed the total kinetic energy since the average kinetic energy is only equal to kT/2.

Last edited:
etherist said:
The kinetic energy of gas molecules or atoms is: (3/2)kTN/M where k is Boltzman constant, T is absolute temperature, N is avogadros number and M is molecular weight. The formula is derived from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory.
Assume that the gas is steam with M = 18 kg/mol at 373K, it is equivalent to approximately 260 J/kg but suppose i cool the steam up to 40C based on Cdt + Lf (C is specific heat, dt is change in temperature and Lf is latent heat of vaporization), it becomes an overunity of 10420 more effective. From what assumption or derivation I am wrong? or if I'm right where does the excess energy came from?
What is overunity? I've never heard the term before.

It means that efficiency is greater than 1 or 100%, there is a gain of energy which violates law of conservation of energy.

Chestermiller said:
What is overunity? I've never heard the term before.

It's when you get more out than you put in - so very near the fringe of what's acceptable on PF.

Suffice to say that someone with the time and inclination could find the flaw in the OP but there are better things to do with your time than chase things like that.

Yes, overunity processes are on the banned topics list of the PF. Thread is closed.

1. How is overunity achieved from heating and cooling?

Overunity from heating and cooling refers to the concept of generating more energy than is put into a heating or cooling system. This can be achieved through various methods such as utilizing waste heat, implementing heat pumps, and utilizing renewable energy sources.

2. Can overunity from heating and cooling be sustained?

While overunity from heating and cooling can be achieved, it is difficult to sustain for extended periods of time. This is because the processes involved in heating and cooling inherently involve some energy loss, making it difficult to maintain a state of overunity indefinitely.

3. Is overunity from heating and cooling a reliable source of energy?

Overunity from heating and cooling is not considered a reliable source of energy due to its difficulty in sustaining and the fact that it relies on external factors such as waste heat or renewable energy sources. It is typically used as a supplement to other energy sources rather than a primary source.

4. What are the potential benefits of utilizing overunity from heating and cooling?

The main benefit of overunity from heating and cooling is the potential for increased energy efficiency and cost savings. By utilizing waste heat or renewable energy sources, it is possible to generate additional energy without the need for additional resources.

5. Are there any downsides to overunity from heating and cooling?

One potential downside to overunity from heating and cooling is the initial investment required to implement the necessary systems and technology. Additionally, as mentioned before, it is difficult to sustain overunity for extended periods of time, making it more of a supplemental rather than a primary source of energy.