Independent Study: MIT OCW-Based Relativity/ Special Relativity

In summary, independent study on MIT OCW-based Relativity and Special Relativity involves self-directed learning through online resources provided by MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources cover the fundamentals of relativity and special relativity, including concepts such as time dilation and length contraction. This independent study allows individuals to deepen their understanding of these complex theories and apply them to real-world scenarios. It also provides a flexible and accessible way for individuals to learn at their own pace and convenience.
megatyler30
Hi, I am a Junior in high school and if I can, I would like to do Independent Study next year based on either the OCW for http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-20-introduction-to-special-relativity-january-iap-2005/ or 8.033 - Relativity. I wanted to know if they most likely would be possible for me, if I would need to learn more math for them, and which one I should take and the difficulty of each math-wise. The textbooks they both use are A.P. French's Special Relativity and also Resnick's Intro to Special Relativity. Just to give you an idea of my academic level (and math level), I will list the college and AP courses I've taken/taking that are related to science/engineering/math.

• AP Chemistry - AP Score: 5
  • AP Physics C (Class will cover both exams) - Currently taking (have A in class)
  • Calculus 1 - A
  • Calculus 2 - A-
  • Calculus 3 (Multivariable) - A
  • Differential Equations - Currently Taking
  • Engineering Materials - A (and currently taking lab for it)
  • Statics - Currently Taking
  • Physical Chemistry 1 + Lab (Just covers Thermo)- Currently Taking
  • Organic Chemistry 1 - A-

Also, I will be, if I can be taking Linear Algebra and Number Theory with Cryptography (depending if I get accepted into the summer program or not).

Physics news on Phys.org
AP Physics C isn't perfectly equivalent to college calc. You should over the prereqs 8.01/8.012 8.02/8.022 first

Go for it, A.P. French's Special Relativity was the recommended text for my first course in special relativity, and I remember it as being very clear & straightforward.

Okay thanks, do I have enough math? And will I need linear algebra?

Yeah, you have enough math. As you've aced calculus 3, this book will seem like a walk in the park.

Okay, thank you. One last thing, my school won't end up letting me do independent study for it afterall, so if I don't start soon, I doubt I'll get around to it next year (except maybe summer), anyways do I need E&M for it or can I safely start while my AP Physics is just starting E&M?

Dig around on the MIT site and you'll usually find prerequisites listed, and we find:

"8.20 is open to all MIT students who have completed or placed out of 8.01 (Physics I - Classical Mechanics) and 18.01 (Calculus I). Anyone in the MIT community who is familiar with elementary mechanics and who has a good knowledge of algebra (and a little knowledge of calculus) will find the course accessible."

Your school doesn't get to say what you can do for *truly* independent study. Be a rebel, do it anyway, you will not regret it. It would make a good summer project, this is as near as a physics textbook gets to a beach novel.

Okay, will do, I just wanted to make sure I'd be fine without E&M. Just so you know, it's more out of interest than anything else, as it will have almost no application to what I want to go into, chemical engineering. Anyways, thank you fr your help, I will work on it the soonest I can.

1. What is MIT OCW-Based Relativity/ Special Relativity?

MIT OCW-Based Relativity/ Special Relativity is a self-study course offered by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) through their OpenCourseWare (OCW) platform. It covers the principles and applications of the theory of relativity, with a focus on special relativity.

2. Who is this course designed for?

This course is designed for anyone interested in learning about the theory of relativity, regardless of their background in physics. It is especially suitable for self-directed learners who prefer to study at their own pace.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or prerequisites to take this course?

While it is not required to have a background in physics, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and calculus. Some familiarity with concepts in classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, may also be helpful.

4. How is the course structured?

The course is divided into 10 units, each containing lecture notes, practice problems, and suggested readings. There are also video lectures and interactive simulations to aid in understanding the material. Students are encouraged to complete the units in order, as they build upon each other.

5. Is there any cost to take this course?

No, MIT OCW-Based Relativity/ Special Relativity is a completely free course. However, it does not offer any academic credit or certification upon completion.