Insulating box in a lightning storm

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a person would be protected from lightning strikes if they were inside a perfectly insulating box during a thunderstorm. It is mentioned that the box would not be affected by the electric field of the lightning, but there is still a possibility of the thunder hitting nearby objects. The conversation also delves into the definition of thunder and its relationship to lightning. It is ultimately determined that the electric field from lightning can be harmful to the human body, and the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the distance from the strike. It is suggested that a safe distance from a lightning strike would be about 20-30 feet.
dEdt
This question is a variation on another question I asked recently.

Suppose you were in a box made from a perfectly insulating material, and a thunderstorm was raging all around you. Would the box offer you any protection from lightning strikes?

I think it would, because there would be no induced charge on the surface of the box and thus no 'reason' for lightning to hit it. Does this reasoning make sense?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes but the thunder can hit nearby objects (for example if the box is under a tree the thunder can hit the tree and not sure what could happen to the insulating box).

What does the box do to the lightning's electric field?

Vanadium 50 said:

so you mean the thunder can pass through the box?

Of course the thunder can pass through the box. Thunder is sound. My question/hint - what does the box do to the lightning's electric field?

Vanadium 50 said:
Of course the thunder can pass through the box. Thunder is sound. My question/hint - what does the box do to the lightning's electric field?

You don't have to be ironic, as far as i know thunder is an electric discharge between a cloud and a point in the ground, while lightning is the discharge between two clouds.

An insulating box can't block the electric field from an outside source.

Delta² said:
You don't have to be ironic, as far as i know thunder is an electric discharge between a cloud and a point in the ground, while lightning is the discharge between two clouds.

That isn't the correct definition of thunder. You should also check the definition of ironic.

TumblingDice said:
That isn't the correct definition of thunder. You should also check the definition of ironic.
Yes apparently in english the word thunder is used for the sound of lightning. Ok then. The words when translated in greek have the meaning i ve told though.

Vanadium 50 said:

First, why does lightning even create an electric field? I know that there's an electric field between the cloud and the ground -- this is of course what causes the lightning strike. But why would a lightning bolt, which is essentially just a big current, create its own electric field?

Second, why would this hypothetical electric field be harmful?

dEdt said:
First, why does lightning even create an electric field? I know that there's an electric field between the cloud and the ground -- this is of course what causes the lightning strike. But why would a lightning bolt, which is essentially just a big current, create its own electric field?

Currents can create their own electric field when they are time varying (and the current of the "lightning bolt" is time varying. Thats why u hear parasites on radio or see distortion on the tv when a nearby lightning hits the sky.)

If the electric field is too strong it can cause serious problems to human body (from burns in the skin to cancer and even instanteneous death ).

Likes 1 person
Delta² said:
If the electric field is too strong it can cause serious problems to human body (from burns in the skin to cancer and even instanteneous death ).

Huh, interesting.

Approximately how far away from the lightning strike would you have to be to experience these effects? That is, if we agree that a lightning bolt won't strike a perfectly insulating box, how big would it have to be to keep a person inside at a safe enough distance from any possible nearby lightning strikes?

dEdt said:
Huh, interesting.

Approximately how far away from the lightning strike would you have to be to experience these effects? That is, if we agree that a lightning bolt won't strike a perfectly insulating box, how big would it have to be to keep a person inside at a safe enough distance from any possible nearby lightning strikes?

Well i can briefly say that the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the current source, that is E~(1/r) where r is the distance. So at a distance of 10 meter is 10 times weaker than it is at a distance of 1m, at a distance of 100 meter is 100 times weaker than it is at distance of 1m and so on.

dEdt said:

The ionized channel through the air that the lightning takes is made up of ionized gas. This ionized gas is a good conductor of electricity. Applying a large voltage to an ungrounded conductor will charge it. So the ionized channel is charged to whatever the voltage of the cloud is, and getting near this channel is exactly the same as getting close to a highly charged conductor. (since that's essentially what it is)

So if the channel of ionized air decides to include you or even be near you, then you will become part of the circuit and current will flow through you, causing severe injury and possible death.

dEdt said:
Huh, interesting.

I know of people who have been about 20-30 feet away from a strike and not been injured, so I would guess that to be about a minimum distance. Any closer and you're likely to injured.

Delta² said:
Well i can briefly say that the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the current source, that is E~(1/r) where r is the distance. So at a distance of 10 meter is 10 times weaker than it is at a distance of 1m, at a distance of 100 meter is 100 times weaker than it is at distance of 1m and so on.

Actually the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, so at 10 meters it is 100 times weaker than at 1 meter, and at 100 meters it is 10,000 times weaker than at 1 meter.

What is an insulating box and how does it work in a lightning storm?

An insulating box is a protective container designed to shield its contents from electric fields, such as those produced during a lightning storm. It works by using non-conductive materials, such as rubber or plastic, to prevent the transfer of electrical charges from the outside environment to the inside of the box.

Is it safe to use an insulating box during a lightning storm?

Yes, an insulating box can provide a safe shelter during a lightning storm. However, it is important to note that no shelter is completely safe from lightning strikes. It is always recommended to seek additional safety measures, such as seeking an enclosed building or a fully enclosed vehicle.

What items should be placed inside an insulating box during a lightning storm?

Only essential items should be placed inside an insulating box during a lightning storm. This includes important documents, electronic devices, and any other items that are sensitive to electrical charges. It is important to avoid overloading the box and to keep the items well-spaced to prevent potential arcs.

Can an insulating box protect against a direct lightning strike?

An insulating box is not designed to protect against a direct lightning strike. If struck directly, the box may become damaged and lose its insulating properties. It is always best to seek shelter in an enclosed building or vehicle during a lightning storm.

Are there any precautions I should take when using an insulating box during a lightning storm?

It is important to keep the insulating box away from any metal objects or surfaces, as they can conduct electricity and potentially cause harm. Additionally, avoid using electronic devices while inside the insulating box, as they can still be affected by electrical charges. It is also important to follow any instructions or guidelines provided by the manufacturer for the safe use of the insulating box.