How do laser interferometers measure distances greater than 1wavelengt

In summary, laser interferometers use multiple interference fringes and a process called phase unwrapping to measure distances of more than one wavelength, even when the phase difference exceeds 180 degrees.
blin1994
Hi,

My question is how do do laser interferometers measure distances of more than one wavelength?
I know they rely on phase difference to calculate distances but phases only differ at 180 degrees at max so how do interferometers factor in going over 180 degrees in phase difference to calculate larger distances?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
blin1994 said:
Hi,

My question is how do do laser interferometers measure distances of more than one wavelength?
I know they rely on phase difference to calculate distances but phases only differ at 180 degrees at max so how do interferometers factor in going over 180 degrees in phase difference to calculate larger distances?

Thanks

Google "Phase unwrapping", for example:

http://earth.esa.int/landtraining07/D1LB4-Rocca.pdf
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jlv27/index_files/Publications_files/PhaseUnwrapEncyclopedia.pdf

What is a laser interferometer?

A laser interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure distances with high precision using the interference patterns created by two or more laser beams.

How do laser interferometers work?

A laser interferometer works by splitting a laser beam into two or more beams and directing them towards a target. The reflected beams are then recombined, creating an interference pattern that can be used to measure the distance to the target.

How do laser interferometers measure distances greater than 1 wavelength?

Laser interferometers use a technique called phase shifting, where the phase of one of the laser beams is altered by a fraction of a wavelength. This allows for more precise measurements and can extend the range of measurement beyond 1 wavelength.

What is the accuracy of laser interferometers?

The accuracy of laser interferometers depends on various factors such as the quality of the laser, the stability of the setup, and the skill of the operator. In general, they can achieve sub-micron or even nanometer level accuracy.

What are the applications of laser interferometers?

Laser interferometers have a wide range of applications in fields such as metrology, astronomy, and engineering. They are used for measuring distances, angles, and vibrations with high precision and are essential tools in research and industry.