Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the author suggests that in order to calculate the fraction of particles between two speeds, one should evaluate the definite integral. They provide a link to a website that offers tables of integrals. There is a substitution for ##u=\sqrt{\lambda}x## to enable the integration, and the final calculation is done using ##\int_a^bf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)##.
TeslaPow
I don't know how to integrate the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution without approximation or help from Maple.

Given the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:

[tex]f(v) = 4\pi\left[\frac{m}{2\pi kT}\right]^{3/2}v^2\textrm{exp}\left[\frac{-mv^2}{2kT}\right][/tex]

Observe the appearance of the Boltzmann factor ##\textrm{exp}\left[\frac{-mv^2}{2kT}\right]## with ##E = \frac{mv^2}{2}##.

Assuming a fixed temperature and mass, one can simplify this equation:

[tex]f(v) = av^2\textrm{exp}[-bv^2][/tex]
[tex]a = 4\pi \left[\frac{m}{2\pi k T}\right]^{3/2}[/tex]
[tex]b = \frac{m}{2kT}[/tex]

In order to calculate the fraction of particles between two speeds ##v_1## and ##v_2##, one should evaluate the definite integral. It's possible to use this formula directly with low speeds, but for higher speeds between let's say 400-500 m/s an integration is needed.

[tex]\int f(v)dx[/tex]

Here is an link to integral-tables, http://integral-table.com/
How would I solve this problem for let's say a certain amount of moles with hydrogen between two different velocities? Tor

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First note that
##\int_a^b e^{-x^2}dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}(Erf(b)-Erf(a))##,
because this is the definition of the error function. Now you can integrate
##\int_a^b e^{-\lambda x^2}dx##
using the substitution ##u=\sqrt{\lambda}x##. Finally, we see that
##\int_a^b x^2 e^{-\lambda x^2}dx=-\int_a^b \frac{d}{d\lambda}e^{-\lambda x^2}dx=-\frac{d}{d\lambda}\int_a^b e^{-\lambda x^2}dx##.
That way, you can do the required integration.

Likes Uriel and TeslaPow
By looking in the integral table at number 70, is this the right solution?

Yes, usually when relatively difficult integrals like this are needed in physics calculations, they are just looked from tables of integrals.

Thanks for the short reply, I've never used the error function in integrals before. How do I go on about from here when I want to integrate between 400-500m/s from the page I just copied from my physics books. I can't find an derivation example in either of my books, it would seem a rather difficult integration. http://s29.postimg.org/6kpwe4kc7/molecular.jpg

Last edited:
TeslaPow said:
Thanks for the short reply, I've never used the error function in integrals before. How do I go on about from here when I want to integrate between 400-500m/s from the page I just copied from my physics books. I can't find an derivation example in either of my books, it would seem a rather difficult integration. http://s29.postimg.org/6kpwe4kc7/molecular.jpg

The calculation on that page uses linear approximation instead of actual integration. Now that you know the integration formula for ##\int x^2e^{-\lambda x^2}dx##, you just use ##\int_a^bf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)## to calculate the result (here ##F(x)## is the indefinite integral of ##f(x)##.

Likes 1 person
Do I put in -0.0645 for the lambda as calculated from the copy?

^ Yes, that seems to be the correct value.

hilbert2 said:
^ Yes, that seems to be the correct value.

Can you use the same formula for calculating between 400-401 m/s to check yourself that
it's the correct answer?

I had to leave 1.74e14 outside the integral and for the lambda part it was necessary to calculate it like this: 2(1.67e-27)(x^2)/2(1.38e-23)(300K) => 4.03382e-7x^2 and integrate x^2*e-4.03382*10-7*x^2. Thanks for your help, now I know how to integrate the MBD. Mucho appreciato!

Last edited:
Wait a minute, the value of lambda should not include the factor ##v^2##... The correct value of ##\lambda## in the calculation is ##4.03\times 10^{-7}\frac{s^2}{m^2}##.

I calculated the number of molecules that have speed between 400 and 500 m/s and I got the result ##3.26\times 10^{21}##. Now you can calculate and see if you get the same result.

EDIT: oh, you noted the problem with lambda value...

Yeah I got the exact same value. Now I can use this for all kinds of gases.

Last edited:

1. What is the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who developed the theory in the late 19th century.

2. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution?

The shape of the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution is affected by the temperature of the gas, the mass of the particles, and the volume of the container. As temperature increases, the distribution curve shifts to the right and becomes broader. As mass increases, the curve becomes narrower. As volume increases, the curve becomes flatter.

3. How is the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution is a fundamental part of the kinetic theory of gases. It explains the relationship between temperature and the average kinetic energy of gas particles. The distribution also helps to predict the behavior of gases in different conditions, such as changes in temperature or pressure.

4. Can the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution be applied to other types of particles besides gases?

Yes, the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution is a general probability distribution that can be applied to any group of particles in a system that are in thermal equilibrium. It is commonly used to describe the distribution of speeds of particles in liquids and solids, as well as gases.

5. How does the Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution is derived from the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in a closed system, entropy (or disorder) tends to increase over time. The distribution shows that the most probable state for a group of particles in thermal equilibrium is a state of maximum disorder, or maximum entropy.