Another vector fields in terms of circulation and flux

In summary, the reason why other fields of physics haven't laws like the Maxwell's equations is because they are based in the symmetry of Eucldidean space. The operations like \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V} or \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}, div and curl of a vector field, and \vec{\nabla} \phi, the gradient of a scalar field, have clear intuitive meaning in physics. However, the gauss law and this other law are not emphasized like the maxwell's laws.
Jhenrique
Other laws in terms of circulation and flux

Why others vector fields no are studied like the magnetic and electric fields? In other words, why others vector fields, like the gravitational and the hydrodynamic, haven't "supreme laws" based in the circulation/flux or curl/divergence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The navier stokes equation are much complicated for me... I don't understand anything!

Unfortunately, I wrong the topic's title, but what I want say is: in eletromagnetism, the circulation/flux or curl/divergence of the electrical/magnetical field (maxwell's equations) are the most general and supremes laws! All the the other equations are just details or particularities. So, why in other fields of the physics the vector fields haven't laws like exist in the electromagnetism? For example, let says that G represents the gravitational field, I never see an equation of kind:
$$\oint_{s} \vec{G}\cdot d\vec{s}=0$$ $$\oint\oint_{S} \vec{G}\cdot d^2\vec{S}=-km$$
That are analogous to the maxwell's equations...

Last edited:
Jhenrique said:
Unfortunately, I wrong the topic's title, but what I want say is: in eletromagnetism, the circulation/flux or curl/divergence of the electrical/magnetical field (maxwell's equations) are the most general and supremes laws! All the the other equations are just details or particularities. So, why in other fields of the physics the vector fields haven't laws like exist in the electromagnetism? For example, let says that G represents the gravitational field, I never see an equation of kind:
$$\oint_{s} \vec{G}\cdot d\vec{s}=0$$ $$\oint\oint_{S} \vec{G}\cdot d^2\vec{S}=-km$$
That are analogous to the maxwell's equations...

What about Gauss law?

[tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{s} = -4\pi G M_{int}[/tex]

The standard operations on vector fields always appear in many fields of physics. This is "natural" in a way, because they result from the symmetry structure of Eucldidean (three-dimensional) space and the corresponding symmetry group (semidirect product of rotations and translations).

In addition these operations like [itex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}[/itex] or [itex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}[/itex], div and curl of a vector field, and [itex]\vec{\nabla} \phi[/itex], the gradient of a scalar field, have clear intuitive meaning in physics, particularly in fluid dynamics (see one of may latest postings in this forum).

mattt said:
What about Gauss law?

[tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{s} = -4\pi G M_{int}[/tex]

It's the first time that I see this equation!

So, why the gauss law
[tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S} = -4\pi G M_{int}[/tex]
and this other law
$$\oint_{s} \vec{g}\cdot d\vec{s}=0$$
are not emphasized like the maxwell laws ?

1. What is the difference between circulation and flux in vector fields?

Circulation and flux are two different ways of measuring the movement or flow of a vector field. Circulation measures the flow around a closed loop or path, while flux measures the flow through a given surface.

2. How are circulation and flux related in vector fields?

According to Stokes' Theorem, the circulation of a vector field around a closed loop is equal to the flux of the curl of the vector field through any surface bounded by that loop. In other words, circulation and flux are two different ways of looking at the same underlying movement or flow in a vector field.

3. Can a vector field have both circulation and flux?

Yes, a vector field can have both circulation and flux. This is because circulation and flux measure different aspects of the flow of a vector field - circulation measures the flow around a closed loop, while flux measures the flow through a surface.

4. How do you calculate the circulation of a vector field?

The circulation of a vector field can be calculated by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the differential element along a closed loop or path. Mathematically, it can be represented as ∮F · ds.

5. What is the physical significance of circulation and flux in vector fields?

Circulation and flux have important physical significance in understanding the flow of fluids and electromagnetic fields. They are used to study phenomena such as turbulence, vortices, and eddies in fluids, and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic systems.