DC Motor Speed Control - Ideas & Circuits

In summary: PWM.In summary, the goal of this circuit is to replace an existing car park barrier that is having problems, and the control circuit should be relatively easy. The motor should run in two speeds in both directions and be able to hold its position when the limit is reached. There is no need for precise position control, which can be done with PWM.
levoeg
dear members
i want to design speed control circuit for 24v dc permanat magnet motor in both direction if anyone have ideas or circuits please post here. it may be great help to me. Thanx in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look into H-Bridges.

Unless you have a reasonable knowledge of control systems, this is difficult task. Basically you should install a tachometer in the output of the motor, compare the output of the tachometer with a reference voltage and feed the difference to a power amplifier which will drive the motor windings.

SGT said:
Unless you have a reasonable knowledge of control systems, this is difficult task. Basically you should install a tachometer in the output of the motor, compare the output of the tachometer with a reference voltage and feed the difference to a power amplifier which will drive the motor windings.

Wow, that's somewhat complex
:biggrin:

A simple H can be made with as few at 4 transistors and 4 resistors. A more reliable solution would use 6 or so. An optimal solution would use a few mosfets. You can use PWM (a 555 timer would actually work here) to control the speed. Controlling a motor is not that hard:

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/hbridge/hbridge.html
http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/tutorial/h-bridge/
http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/1998-04a/ [Broken]

You can make things more difficult if you want to or need to; however, microcontrollers do simplify the entire design process.

levoeg, what exactly do you need from your controller? Current requirement, means of control, size of controller, cost requirement, intended use...

Last edited by a moderator:
dear members
thanx for the posts here. actually i want to use this for car park barrier.the existing one having problem very often so i am trying to replace that with this circuit. the rest of the control circuit no prob for me i mean power source, sensors, and limit swtches etc.. i want the motor should run in two speeds in both direction and hold when the limit is reached(less power to ensure it is not free fall). here is no need of encoders or tachos as it doesn't need precise position control

1. How does a DC motor speed control work?

A DC motor speed control works by adjusting the voltage or current supplied to the motor. By increasing or decreasing the voltage or current, the speed of the motor can be controlled. This is typically done using a variable resistor or a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit.

2. What are the advantages of using a DC motor speed control?

The main advantage of using a DC motor speed control is the ability to precisely control the speed of the motor. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as robotics, industrial automation, and electric vehicles. Additionally, using a speed control can help to reduce power consumption and extend the lifespan of the motor.

3. How do I choose the right DC motor speed control circuit for my application?

When choosing a DC motor speed control circuit, there are a few factors to consider. These include the type of DC motor being used (brushed or brushless), the voltage and current requirements of the motor, and the desired control range. It is also important to consider the complexity and cost of the circuit, as well as any additional features such as reverse polarity protection or overload protection.

4. Can I build my own DC motor speed control circuit?

Yes, it is possible to build your own DC motor speed control circuit. There are many resources available online for different circuit designs and tutorials. However, it is important to have a good understanding of electronics and circuit design before attempting to build your own speed control circuit.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a DC motor speed control?

Yes, there are a few safety concerns to be aware of when using a DC motor speed control. It is important to ensure that the circuit is properly designed and built, and that all components are rated for the voltage and current being used. Additionally, it is important to follow proper electrical safety practices, such as using appropriate insulation and avoiding contact with live circuits.