Exploring Solar Cells and Renewable Energy Sources

In summary, solar cells use the photoelectric effect to convert visible light into electricity. However, there is also potential to use thermal radiation via the thermoelectric effect. This technology is currently being enhanced and could be used on machines, motors, and other systems that produce waste heat. This has the potential to increase efficiency and decrease CO2 emissions. Solar water heaters are also an efficient and eco-friendly way to utilize sunlight for heating water. Heat pumps and other methods are being explored to use waste heat as a power source. Solar cells have a limited spectral response, but can still be effective in converting visible light into electricity.
Hyperreality
Does solar cell really only absorbs energy from sunlight? What about other sources of radiation such as thermal radiation?

Wouldn't it be great if there are some devices that can recycles energy produced in major cities and convert it into electrical energy?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes I agree about the thermal energy idea. Any device that gives off heat is wasteful in my eyes. Like a light bulb gives off a great deal of heat, but we are not interested in the heat that is produced only the light, the heat is energy you paid for but are not utilizing so I consider it waste. We waste power everywhere; a lot of machines just let the heat escape into the atmosphere never to be returned. Light, heat, electricity all energy. An electric pump is hot or warm the heat dissipated off of it you paid for on the electric bill! A solar cell uses the photon to create power but if your talking thermoelectric check this out:) http://www.hi-z.com/ I think this technology needs to be enhanced to be put on motors, machines, anywhere you can think of that waste heat is created and then re-channeled back into our electric system, This should decrease the overall efficiency of our power use and cut down on CO2 emissions and save us from harmful greenhouse effects in the future. Here I am trying to save the world:)lol anyway it is a cool idea:)

Last edited:
sheldon said:
Yes I agree about the thermal energy idea. Any device that gives off heat is wasteful in my eyes. Like a light bulb gives off a great deal of heat, but we are not interested in the heat that is produced only the light, the heat is energy you paid for but are not utilizing so I consider it waste. We waste power everywhere; a lot of machines just let the heat escape into the atmosphere never to be returned. Light, heat, electricity all energy. An electric pump is hot or warm the heat dissipated off of it you paid for on the electric bill! A solar cell uses the photon to create power but if your talking thermoelectric check this out:) http://www.hi-z.com/ I think this technology needs to be enhanced to be put on motors, machines, anywhere you can think of that waste heat is created and then re-channeled back into our electric system, This should decrease the overall efficiency of our power use and cut down on CO2 emissions and save us from harmful greenhouse effects in the future. Here I am trying to save the world:)lol anyway it is a cool idea:)

Man i have thought about that idea for years.now i am planning on building solar cells, so communities that don't have access to electricity can get comfort like the big cities from such invention. I am talking cells as small as a "pen light battery" used in walkmans, and also cells as small as a car battery that can be used for running a fridge a tv

Hyperreality said:
Does solar cell really only absorbs energy from sunlight? What about other sources of radiation such as thermal radiation?

Wouldn't it be great if there are some devices that can recycles energy produced in major cities and convert it into electrical energy?
Solar cells make use of optical (visible) light via the photoelectric effect.

To use thermal energy - one uses the thermo-electric effect - with thermoelectric materials.
http://www.thermoelectrics.com/introduction.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect
http://availabletechnologies.pnl.gov/technology.asp?id=85

See also - Seebeck effect - "Seebeck tested a wide range of materials, including the naturally found semiconductors ZnSb and PbS."

Super Soaker Inventor Invents New Thermoelectric Generator
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/semico...inventor-invents-new-thermoelectric-generator
Lonnie Johnson has moved on from high-powered squirt guns to a chip that converts heat from the sun--or anything else--into electricity

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/ spacecraft /safety/power.pdf
www.ne.doe.gov/pdfFiles/MMRTG.pdf[/URL]

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/23040/bmw-and-nasa-teaming-up-to-devise-regenerative-exhaust-system/

In the case of transporation systems, one has to consider power/mass (e.g., kW/kg).

Last edited by a moderator:
many devices emit energy like thermal radiation and we can't reuse these energy because of high cost. you can't use the thermal radiation getting out from you light bulb. but in car motor, you can use bit of thermal radiation by using Turbo, it reuse the combustion gases after expansion stork in cylinders and back it again to cylinder to use its high pressure and temperature.

solar cell, i want to call it as photovoltic cell, just absorb light from the sun and convert it into electricity by using any materials with low band gap. it absorb light from the sun and force electron to move from valence band to conductive band. these electron goes through the external circuit and then through the load losing his energy and come back to its level in low band gap atom, ready for use it again.
the current from solar cell is DC, you can use it as AC by using inverter

I hear a lot about these "solar water heater" systems that bypass any kind of electricity or photovoltaic conversion and just use sunlight to heat water directly. We were looking at a house this weekend that had this set up. It consisted of a bunch of big black tarp things on the roof hooked up to what looked like water pipes. They're supposed to be more efficient, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly than photovoltaic cells.

As for using waste heat as a power source, I'm sure at some point the second law of thermodynamics is going to place a cap on how much of that you can do...

"Heat pumps" are one way they try to do that, use heat that you would otherwise not be able to use.

Essentually the heat pump is an air conditioning system in reverse, the cold element is outside in the cold, and the "heat exchanger" part that is normally outside (for cooling) is not inside.

So even it it's very code outside, the cold element should be colder, so it takes in heat from outside, and pumps it inside.

As for PV's they have a fairly limited spectral response, obviously tailored to the spectrum of filtered sun light.
Solar cells (PV's) generally come with specs showing their spectral response, fill factor, Isc (Current short circuit) Voc (Volts Open circuit).

(from memory Fill Factor is a function of series and shunt resistances). I think idea FF is 1

1. What are solar cells and how do they work?

Solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, are devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb photons from sunlight and use them to create an electric current. This process is known as the photovoltaic effect.

2. What are the benefits of using solar cells as a renewable energy source?

Solar cells offer many benefits as a renewable energy source. They do not produce any greenhouse gas emissions, are low maintenance, and have a long lifespan. Additionally, solar energy is abundant and free, making it a cost-effective option for producing electricity.

3. How efficient are solar cells in converting sunlight into electricity?

The efficiency of solar cells varies depending on the type and quality of the cell, as well as external factors such as temperature and shading. On average, commercial solar cells have an efficiency of around 15-20%, while some advanced cells can reach up to 40% efficiency.

4. Can solar cells be used to power homes and buildings?

Yes, solar cells can be used to power homes and buildings through the installation of solar panels. These panels are made of multiple solar cells connected together, and the electricity produced can be used to power appliances and other electrical devices.

5. What are some challenges facing the widespread adoption of solar cells and renewable energy sources?

One challenge is the high initial cost of installing solar panels, although this is decreasing as technology advances and production costs decrease. Another challenge is the intermittent nature of solar energy, as it is only produced during daylight hours and is affected by weather conditions. However, these challenges are being addressed through developments in storage technologies and the integration of solar energy into the power grid.