Solving Diff.Eq. with Boundary Conditions: y(x) = x

In summary, the given equation y(x)=x+(1/2)*∫(from u=-1 to 1)[(1-|x-u|)y(u)du], x є [-1, 1] is a solution of y''(x)+y(x)=0 with the given boundary conditions of y(1)+y(-1)=0 and y'(1)+y'(-1)=2. By using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the derivative of y(x) is found to be y'(x)=1+(1/2)*[f(x,x)+∫(from u=-1 to x)[∂f/∂x(u,x)du-g(x,x)+
jt316
I need help figuring out the solution to this diff.eq.

y(x) = x + (1/2)*∫(from u=-1 to 1)[ ( 1-| x – u | ) y(u) du] , x є [ -1, 1]

I have to show that:
y``(x) + y(x) = 0 , x є [ -1, 1]

subject to:

y(1) + y(-1) = 0

y`(1) + y`(-1) = 2

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you mean is you need to prove that

[tex]y(x)=x+\frac{1}{2}\int_{-1}^x (1-|x-u|)y(u)du ,\qquad x\in[-1,1][/tex]

is a solution of [itex]y''(x)+y(x)=0[/itex] with the given boundary conditions or viceversa?

If it is the frist one, you just have to remember the definition for absolute value is

[tex]
|x|=\left\{\begin{array}{rl} x & \hbox{if }x\ge 0, \\ -x & \hbox{if }x<0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

So, the function [itex]y(x)[/itex] is actually

[tex]y(x)=x+\frac{1}{2}\left\{\int_{-1}^x [1-(x-u)]y(u)du+\int_{x}^1 [1-(u-x)]y(u)du\right\} [/tex]

Hence, all you have to do is use the fundamental theorem of calculus, and prove that it satisfies the boundary conditions.

Last edited:
AiRAVATA said:
What you mean is you need to prove that

[tex]y(x)=x+\frac{1}{2}\int_{-1}^x (1-|x-u|)y(u)du ,\qquad x\in[-1,1][/tex]

is a solution of [itex]y''(x)+y(x)=0[/itex] with the given boundary conditions or viceversa?

If it is the frist one, you just have to remember the definition for absolute value is

[tex]
|x|=\left\{\begin{array}{rl} x & \hbox{if }x\ge 0, \\ -x & \hbox{if }x<0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

So, the function [itex]y(x)[/itex] is actually

[tex]y(x)=x+\frac{1}{2}\left\{\int_{-1}^x [1-(x-u)]y(u)du+\int_{x}^1 [1-(u-x)]y(u)du\right\} [/tex]

Hence, all you have to do is use the fundamental theorem of calculus, and prove that it satisfies the boundary conditions.

That is what I tried to do but for some reason I'm not coming up with the correct solution for the given boundry conditions...

Last edited:
Are you deriving correctly?

The reason I ask this is because you are not going to use a standard form of the fundamental theorem of calculus. For example, let's define the function

[tex]F(x)=\int_a^x f(u,x)du.[/tex]

By definition,

[tex]F'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{F(x+h)-F(x)}{h}=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h}\left\{ \int_a^{x+h} f(u,x+h)du-\int_a^x f(u,x)du\right\}.[/tex]

Rewrittig the right hand of the equation,

[tex]F'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{h}\left\{\int_x^{x+h} f(u,x+h)du +\int_a^x \left[f(u,x+h)-f(u,x)\right]du\right\}.[/tex]

If the function [itex]f(u,x)[/itex] is well behaved in the domain of definition (as yours is), then we can exchange the integral and the limit, and using the fundamental theorem of calculus,

[tex]F'(x)=f(x,x)+\int_a^x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x)du.[/tex]

Now, you tell me what is the derivative of [itex]G(x)[/itex] when

[tex]G(x)=\int_x^b g(u,x)du.[/tex]

Last edited:
I have no idea... I thought I knew but now I don't..

Remember to use your definitions.

[tex]G'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{G(x+h)-G(x)}{h}=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} \left\{\int_{x+h}^b g(u,x+h)du-\int_x^b g(u,x)du \right\}.[/tex]

Rewritting the right side of the equality,

[tex]G'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h}\left\{\int_{x+h}^x g(u,x+h)du+\int_x^b g(u,x+h)du-\int_x^b g(u,x)du\right\}.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
Or better yet, why don't you write [itex]G(x)[/itex] as

[tex]G(x)=-\int_b^x g(u,x)du[/tex]

and use my previous post?

It's not completely done, but I got:

y(x)= x + (1/2)*y(x) - (1/2)*y(x)*x^2

does it look like I'm on the right track?

using this I can get y``(x) + y(x) = 0
and y(x) = (2*x) / (x^2 + 1)
which will give me: y(1) + y(-1) = 0
but I can't get the last condition to work out.

I can't get y`(1) + y`(-1) = 0

?

Do it carefully:

[tex]y'(x)=1+\frac{1}{2}\left\{-\int_{-1}^x y(u)du+\int_x^1 y(u)du\right\}[/tex]

and there you go. Calculating [itex]y''(x)[/itex] should be a piece of cake.

how did you evaluate that and leave the integrals in? I evaluated the integrals and found an expression for y(x) and then took the deriv. and found y`(x). Can I not do it that way? I would like to see the method you used to work that out, if you don't mind. I have no idea how you did that.

As I stated in my previous posts, you are not using the standar fundamental theorem of calculus, because the function you are trying to derive depends on [itex]x[/itex] on both the limits of integration, as on the integrand. Thats why there is an extra integral term (think of it as some sort of chain rule).

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (roughly) states that

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_a^x f(u)du\right)=f(x).[/tex]

In your case, the integrand does not only depends on [itex]u[/itex], but also on [itex]x[/itex]. Thats why there is the extra term. In a previous post, I've proven that

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_a^x f(u,x)du\right)=f(x,x)+\int_a^x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x) du.[/tex]

In your case, let's write [itex]y(x)[/itex] as

[tex]y(x)=x+\frac{1}{2}\left\{\int_{-1}^x f(u,x)du +\int_x^1 g(u,x)du\right\},[/tex]

where [itex]f(u,x)=[1-(x-u)]y(u)[/itex] and [itex]g(u,x)=[1-(u-x)]y(u)[/itex].

Using my previous posts, the derivative of [itex]y(x)[/itex] is

[tex]y'(x)=1+\frac{1}{2}\left\{f(x,x)+\int_{-1}^x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x)du-g(x,x)+\int_x^1 \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}(u,x)du\right\}.[/tex]

Substituting [itex]f,\,g,\,\frac{\partial f}{\partial x},\,\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/itex], you should come up with the correct answer.

Last edited:
I did the exact same thing but I didnt have the f(x,x) and g(x,x) terms. what are f(x,x) and g(x,x)?

They are exactly what they say: f(x,y) and g(x,y) with y replaced by x. For example if f(x,y)= (x+y)2, then f(x,x)= (x+ x)2= 4x2.

That rather complicated formula AiRAVATA is giving you is a special case of Leibniz's formula:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \phi(x,t)dt\right]= \phi(x,\beta(x))\frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}- \phi(x,\alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial\phi(x,t)}{\partial x}dt[/tex]

I think I'm getting close but I am stumped on int( u*y(u) du ) integrated from -1 to 1 ? The y(u) is throwing me off...

You don't have to integrate anything, you have to diferentiate. In fact, you can't integrate as [itex]y(u)[/itex] is unknown.

Lets recapitulate: if [itex]f(u,x)=[1-(x-u)]y(u)[/itex], then

[tex]f(x,x)=y(x),[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x)=-y(u),[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_{-1}^x [1-(x-u)]y(u)du\right)=y(x)-\int_{-1}^x y(u)du.[/tex]

What is the derivative of the next term?

Last edited:
AiRAVATA said:
You don't have to integrate anything, you have to diferentiate. In fact, you can't integrate as [itex]y(u)[/itex] is unknown.

Lets recapitulate: if [itex]f(u,x)=[1-(x-u)]y(u)[/itex], then

[tex]f(x,x)=y(x),[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x)=-y(u),[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_{-1}^x [1-(x-u)]y(u)du\right)=y(x)-\int_{-1}^x y(u)du.[/tex]

What is the derivative of the next term?

For the second half to that part I get: - y(x) + int( y(u) du) from x->1

so to find y``(x), what is the partial derivative for d [y(u)] / dx = ? wouldn't it be zero?
I know I need to get: y``(x)= -y`(x) and d [y(u)] / dx = 0 wouldn't get me there. Do I still use Leibnitz rule to find y``(x) ?

I also have another question... How do you use the symbolic notation?.. that would make this much easier.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
For the second half to that part I get: - y(x) + int( y(u) du) from x->1

That is correct!, so

[tex]y'(x)=1+\frac{1}{2}\left\{-\int_{-1}^x y(u)du + \int_x^1 y(u)du\right\}.[/tex]

For the second derivative, using the fundamental theorem of calculus,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_{-1}^x y(u)du\right)=y(x),[/tex]

(the other term is for you to calculate) and that's it!

I also have another question... How do you use the symbolic notation?.. that would make this much easier.

Click on the formulae to find out :)

Last edited:
AiRAVATA said:
That is correct!, so

[tex]y'(x)=1+\frac{1}{2}\left\{-\int_{-1}^x y(u)du + \int_x^1 y(u)du\right\}.[/tex]

For the second derivative, using the fundamental theorem of calculus,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_{-1}^x y(u)du\right)=y(x),[/tex]

(the other term is for you to calculate) and that's it!

Click on the formulae to find out :)

I see... I think I have it now... I'll let you know how it comes out (now that you have helped me along)

to verify the boundry conditions of:

y(1) +y(-1) = 0

don't I have to int( u*y(u) du ) integrated from -1 to 1 , found in the y(x) eqn.?

I don't believe so, just evaluate and all terms will cancel out.

AiRAVATA said:
I don't believe so, just evaluate and all terms will cancel out.

Using:

y(x)=x + 1/2 *[int( (1-x+u) *y(u) du) + int ( (1+x-u)*y(u)du)]

how could I prove that y(1) + y(-1) = 0, without integrating u*y(u) du ?

Last edited:
[tex]y(-1)=-1+\frac{1}{2}\left\{\int_{-1}^{-1} (2+u)y(u)du-\int_{-1}^1 uy(u)du\right\},[/tex]

and the frist integral is zero, so

[tex]y(-1)=-1-\frac{1}{2}\int_{-1}^1 uy(u)du.[/tex]Now, what is [itex]y(1)[/itex]?

Last edited:
AiRAVATA said:
[tex]y(-1)=-1+\frac{1}{2}\left\{\int_{-1}^{-1} (2+u)y(u)du-\int_{-1}^1 uy(u)du\right\},[/tex]

and the frist integral is zero, so

[tex]y(-1)=-\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\int_{-1}^1 uy(u)du\right).[/tex]

Now, what is [itex]y(1)[/itex]?

but now we have

y(-1) = -1 +1/2 * [ - int ( u*y(u))du]

what can we do with:

int ( u*y(u))du

Last edited:
so...

y(1) = 1+ 1/2* int( u*y(u)du)

which gives me y(1) + y(-1) = 0

but don't I need a value for y(1) and y(-1) to evaluate y'(x) for y'(1) and y'(-1)?

wait... i see.. I find y'(1) and y'(-1) the same way...

Last edited:
I think I have a grasp on that part now...

but given the boundry conditions that we have been working with, how would i find the exact solution to:

y''(x) +y(x)=0

with BC's of:

y(1)+y(-1)=0

y'(1)+y'(-1)=2

this has gotten a little confussing because the BC's I am used to dealing with are like:
y(0)=0
y(1)=0

and your help is greatly appreciated... but how would you evaluate my last post?

the boundry conditions make it a bit confusing

Maybe there is an easier way to do it, but you'll have to ask someone else for it. The only method I know to derive such solution is not simple (I have to construct the Green function).

Right now I don't have time. If anybody hasn't answered by tomorrow morning, I'll post my rather complicated method.

AiRAVATA said:
Maybe there is an easier way to do it, but you'll have to ask someone else for it. The only method I know to derive such solution is not simple (I have to construct the Green function).

Right now I don't have time. If anybody hasn't answered by tomorrow morning, I'll post my rather complicated method.

I appreciate it... I found the solution using matlab... it is:

y(x)=sin(x) / cos(1)

I do think there is a simpler way, I just don't know what it is...

Thanks again for your help

Last edited:
Well, yeah, sure, [itex]\sin x/\cos 1[/itex] is the solution. I tought you wanted the integral representation.

Gald to help.

AiRAVATA said:
Well, yeah, sure, [itex]\sin x/\cos 1[/itex] is the solution. I tought you wanted the integral representation.

Gald to help.

I don't think that the solution I am looking for has the integral expression in it.

I think that we can find a solution from only:

y''(x) +y(x)=0

with BC's of:

y(1)+y(-1)=0

y'(1)+y'(-1)=2

I just don't know exactly how to do that..

I can tell that you have a great understanding of Calculas.

Thanks for helping me understand it alittle better..
if you think of an easier way to solve this, please let me know.

Last edited:
Well, in fact is easy to come up with such solution.

The general solution for [itex]y''(x)+y(x)=0[/itex] is [itex]y(x)=A\cos x+ B\sin x[/itex]. Evaluating the boundary conditions, the constants [itex]A,\,B[/itex] are determined. After doing that, one can conclude that [itex]A=0[/itex] and [itex]B=\cos^{-1}(1)[/itex].

am not sure how to apply this type of boundry condition

Last edited:
If y(x) = Acos(x) + Bsin(x)

y'(x) = Bcos(x) - Asin(x)

y''(x) = -Acos(x) - Bsin(x)

y(1)= - y(-1)
y'(1) = 2-y'(-1)
but I'm still not sure about this type of boundry condition...

Just evaluate:

[tex]y(-1)+y(1)=A\cos(-1)+B\sin(-1)+A\cos(1)+B\sin(-1)=2A\cos(1)=0,[/tex]

so [itex]A=0[/itex]. What is [itex]B[/itex]?

I see what I'm doing wrong. I was trying to put the boundry conditions into y(x) and y'(x) instead of puting those two into the boundry conditions.

B= 1/cos(1)

Thanks for the help

oh yeah [I hope it's the last question :) ] but how did you find the general solution to y''(x) + y(x)=0 to be y(x)= Acos(x) + Bsin(x) ?

<h2>What is a differential equation?</h2><p>A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and predict their behavior over time.</p><h2>What are boundary conditions in differential equations?</h2><p>Boundary conditions are additional requirements that are used to solve a differential equation. They specify the values or behavior of the solution at certain points or boundaries in the domain.</p><h2>How do you solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?</h2><p>To solve a differential equation with boundary conditions, you first need to find the general solution to the equation. Then, you can use the boundary conditions to determine the specific solution that satisfies those conditions.</p><h2>What is the purpose of boundary conditions in solving differential equations?</h2><p>The purpose of boundary conditions is to narrow down the possible solutions to a differential equation and find the one that best fits the specific problem or scenario being modeled.</p><h2>Can you provide an example of solving a differential equation with boundary conditions?</h2><p>For example, the differential equation y'' + 2y' + y = 0 with the boundary conditions y(0) = 0 and y(1) = 1 can be solved by finding the general solution y = c1e^(-x) + c2xe^(-x) and then using the boundary conditions to determine the specific solution y = (1-e^(-x))/x.</p>

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and predict their behavior over time.

What are boundary conditions in differential equations?

Boundary conditions are additional requirements that are used to solve a differential equation. They specify the values or behavior of the solution at certain points or boundaries in the domain.

How do you solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?

To solve a differential equation with boundary conditions, you first need to find the general solution to the equation. Then, you can use the boundary conditions to determine the specific solution that satisfies those conditions.

What is the purpose of boundary conditions in solving differential equations?

The purpose of boundary conditions is to narrow down the possible solutions to a differential equation and find the one that best fits the specific problem or scenario being modeled.

Can you provide an example of solving a differential equation with boundary conditions?

For example, the differential equation y'' + 2y' + y = 0 with the boundary conditions y(0) = 0 and y(1) = 1 can be solved by finding the general solution y = c1e^(-x) + c2xe^(-x) and then using the boundary conditions to determine the specific solution y = (1-e^(-x))/x.