Looking for Fun Things to Do in Boston During the APS March Meeting?

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
In summary, the individuals are discussing their plans for an upcoming conference in Boston. One person is leaving early in the morning and taking a train, while the other is also visiting a university for a grad program. They discuss potential activities in Boston, such as attending a concert or exploring different neighborhoods. They also mention the importance of focusing on specific sessions at the conference instead of trying to attend too many.
Jack21222
Is anybody else going? This is the first large conference I've ever been to. I'm leaving my house at 4:15am tomorrow morning and coming back next Saturday evening; taking a train both ways.

Is there anything fun to do around Boston I should keep an eye out for?

My trip has a dual purpose too. I was just accepted to the physics grad program at Northeastern University, so I am visiting them next week as well to check out the place.

I almost never leave my hometown, so this is rather exciting!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
Is there anything fun to do around Boston I should keep an eye out for?

Depends on your definition of "fun," of course. I'd probably try to go to a Boston Symphony concert. Hmmm... Friday night at 7: Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique and Ravel's Piano Concerto in G.

This'll be my first missed March Meeting in a while. It's easy to not make the best of a big conference like the March Meeting. Don't try to attend all the 10 minute talks in a gazillion different sessions. Instead concentrate only on a few sessions close to your line of work, and spend the rest of the time at invited talks, or talking to people.

There's plenty of fun stuff to do around Boston - what you might want to do depends on your interests. You're not a long walk to Little Italy in the North End (from the Conv Center) - you should head over there for a nice dinner one day. You should also head to South Station and take the red line T to Harvard Square one of the days.

What is the APS March Meeting?

The APS March Meeting is an annual scientific conference hosted by the American Physical Society. It is the largest physics meeting in the world, bringing together thousands of scientists, researchers, and students to present and discuss their latest research findings.

When and where is the APS March Meeting held?

The APS March Meeting is typically held in the month of March and the location changes each year. It is usually held in a major city in the United States, such as Boston, Los Angeles, or New Orleans.

Who can attend the APS March Meeting?

The APS March Meeting is open to anyone who is interested in physics and related fields. However, most attendees are scientists, researchers, and students who are members of the American Physical Society or affiliated organizations.

What topics are covered at the APS March Meeting?

The APS March Meeting covers a wide range of topics in physics, including condensed matter physics, materials science, biophysics, and many others. There are also sessions on education, outreach, and career development for young scientists.

How can I participate in the APS March Meeting?

To participate in the APS March Meeting, you can submit an abstract to present your research, attend talks and poster sessions, and network with other attendees. You can also volunteer to help with the organization and logistics of the conference. Registration and submission deadlines can be found on the APS March Meeting website.