Find possible values for a in this differential equation

In summary: Once you know a value of b, you should be able to work back to find the corresponding value of a. 6*pi*n will work, but it's nowhere near the smallest value that will. How are you solving sin(bx)=0? What values can bx have?I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you please clarify?
s3a

Homework Statement

The question is attached as Problem.jpg.

The answers for a are:
a_1 = 6.52415567780804
a_2 = 7.34662271123215
a_3 = 8.71740110027234

Homework Equations

Characteristic equation and its interpretation based on what the roots are.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached as MyWork.jpg. Basically, assuming that I am right so far, I do not know how to proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 452
  • MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what kind of solution forms are going to make it easy to show y(0)=0 and y(6)=0?

I don't know what the thought process is for figuring that out. :(

s3a said:
I don't know what the thought process is for figuring that out. :(

Well, you get solutions that are exponentials and exponentials times trig functions. Which seems like the better choice to satisfy y(0)=0 and y(6)=0?

Well, having thought much more about, I am still confused but not as much and I'm thinking that if 25 - 4a > 0, both constants must be 0 which is not what we want so 25 - 4a < 0 must hold and then if I recall correctly from class (which is "cheating") then, I believe I must choose the trigonometric equation.

But, I was hoping you could tell me the ins and outs because, I learn best by reading solutions to things and then going "Aha!" and then forgetting and then coming back and getting another "Aha!" and then it makes intuitive sense and I never forget again.

Edit: Oh wait! I think I do see why it's the trigonometric equation!

So now k_3 = 0 and I have to do something with y = k_4 * e^(αx) * sin(bx), right? If so, what exactly must I do now?

s3a said:
Well, having thought much more about, I am still confused but not as much and I'm thinking that if 25 - 4a > 0, both constants must be 0 which is not what we want so 25 - 4a < 0 must hold and then if I recall correctly from class (which is "cheating") then, I believe I must choose the trigonometric equation.

But, I was hoping you could tell me the ins and outs because, I learn best by reading solutions to things and then going "Aha!" and then forgetting and then coming back and getting another "Aha!" and then it makes intuitive sense and I never forget again.

Edit: Oh wait! I think I do see why it's the trigonometric equation!

So now k_3 = 0 and I have to do something with y = k_4 * e^(αx) * sin(bx), right? If so, what exactly must I do now?

Right, now you are catching on. What kinds of values should b have in sin(bx) to make your boundary values work?

I fail to see what finding b will do without finding α.

Having said that, I found b = 6πn as can be seen in the attachment.

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 458
s3a said:
I fail to see what finding b will do without finding α.

Having said that, I found b = 6πn as can be seen in the attachment.

Once you know a value of b, you should be able to work back to find the corresponding value of a. 6*pi*n will work, but it's nowhere near the smallest value that will. How are you solving sin(bx)=0? What values can bx have?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time.

2. Why do we need to find possible values for a in a differential equation?

The value of a in a differential equation can affect the behavior and solutions of the equation. By finding possible values for a, we can better understand the behavior of the system described by the equation.

3. How do we find possible values for a in a differential equation?

To find possible values for a, we can use various mathematical methods such as substitution, separation of variables, or solving for the roots of the equation. We can also use numerical methods to approximate the values.

4. Can there be more than one possible value for a in a differential equation?

Yes, there can be multiple possible values for a in a differential equation. This is because different values of a can result in different solutions or behaviors for the equation.

5. How do the possible values for a affect the solutions of a differential equation?

The possible values for a can affect the solutions of a differential equation in various ways, such as changing the shape or stability of the solution curve, or determining the existence of certain types of solutions. It is important to determine the appropriate value of a in order to accurately model the system described by the differential equation.