Combinatorial Proof of a Recurrence Relation

In summary, the conversation revolves around a recurrence relation given by a professor for extra credit. The solution provided involves finding the number of ways to arrange 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 on a 1xn string without certain combinations appearing. However, the challenge lies in factoring in the +1 term. The suggestion is to find a particular solution to the recurrence relation and add it to the current solution.
AvgStudent
So my professor gave us this recurrence relation to prove combinatorially for extra credit, but I was unable to figure it out.

h(n) = 5h(n-1) - 6h(n-2) + 1

This was my solution, but I couldn't figure out how to factor in the +1:
Let hn be the number of ways to arrange 0,1,2,3,4 on a 1xn string where 01,02,31,32,41,42 doesn't appear in the string.
5h(n-1) counts the # of ways to arrange the string where it begins with 0,1,2,3, or 4.
6h(n-2) counts the # of ways to arrange the string when it begins with 01,02,31,32,41 or 42.

No matter what I thought of, I couldn't solve that +1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi AvgStudent! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Can you find a "particular solution" to this recurrence relation the usual way?

If so, just add that to your present solution. :wink:

1. What is a combinatorial proof of a recurrence relation?

A combinatorial proof of a recurrence relation is a mathematical proof that uses counting principles and combinatorial techniques to show the validity of a recurrence relation. It provides an intuitive and visual understanding of the relationship between the terms in the recurrence relation.

2. How is a combinatorial proof different from an algebraic proof?

A combinatorial proof uses counting principles and combinatorial techniques, while an algebraic proof uses equations and mathematical operations. Combinatorial proofs are often more intuitive and easier to understand, while algebraic proofs may be more rigorous and generalizable.

3. What are some common techniques used in combinatorial proofs?

Some common techniques used in combinatorial proofs include the principle of bijection, double counting, and induction. These techniques involve counting the same set of objects in different ways to prove the equality between the terms in a recurrence relation.

4. Can a combinatorial proof be used to prove any recurrence relation?

Yes, a combinatorial proof can be used to prove any recurrence relation as long as the counting principles and combinatorial techniques used are valid and applicable. However, some recurrence relations may be more easily proved using other methods such as algebraic proofs.

5. Why is a combinatorial proof important in mathematics?

A combinatorial proof is important in mathematics because it provides a visual and intuitive understanding of the relationship between the terms in a recurrence relation. It also helps to establish the validity of the recurrence relation and can lead to new insights and discoveries in mathematics.