Age of the earth - uranium radioactive decay

T}T = ln(0.0073)/(\lambda_{238} - \lambda_{235}).In summary, by setting up the equation for the decay of Uranium 238 and considering the ratio of Uranium 235 to Uranium 238, it can be shown that the age of the Earth is estimated to be 5.15*10^9 years, which is consistent with previous estimates.
A_I_
Natural Uranium found in the Earth's crust contains the isotopes A=235 and A=238 in the atom ratio of 7.3*10^-3 to 1. Assuming that the time of formation of the Earth these two isotopes were formed equally, and that the mean lives are 1.03*10^9 years and 6.49*10^9 years respectively, show that the age of Earth is 5.15*10^9 years.

ok firt i set up the equation for the Uranium 238 decay:
N = N(o) e^(-lambda*t)

N/N(0) = 7.3*10^-3 / 1 = e^-(t/1.03*10^9)

solving for t (using the natural log function)

i got: t = 5.06*10^9 years.
which is pretty close to the value in the problem.

I want to know if the way i solved is right or if i have to consider the decay of Uranium 235 also thus we will have to lambda's in the exponential function. If we use both we get another value which is close to 6.02*10^9 years.
I would like to take the opinion of few people here.
And Thanks for the help :)

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you address the ratio of U-235 to U-238 without considering the the decay of both of them?

so we have to consider the two meanlifes.
and we get the 6.02*10^9 years?
(which contradicts the age in the problem, well our teacher does a lot of mistakes.. so probably it's one of them? but i do know that the age of the Earth is estimated to be 5 billions years).

Do i make any sense?
Thanks again

The decay constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] = 0.693/t1/2.

One must use the ratio of the atoms in this problem.

N235(T)/N238(T) = 0.0073 =

(N235(0) [itex]e^{-\lambda_{235}T}[/itex])/(N238(0) [itex]e^{-\lambda_{238}T}[/itex]), but

N235(0) = N238(0), so

0.0073 = [itex]e^{-\lambda_{235}T}[/itex]/[itex]e^{-\lambda_{238}T}[/itex]

1. How old is the earth according to uranium radioactive decay?

The estimated age of the earth based on uranium radioactive decay is around 4.5 billion years.

2. What is uranium radioactive decay?

Uranium radioactive decay is a process in which the unstable atoms of uranium release energy and particles, eventually transforming into a more stable element.

3. How is uranium used to determine the age of the earth?

Scientists use the ratio of uranium-238 to lead-206 in rocks to determine the age of the earth. As uranium-238 decays, it turns into lead-206 at a known rate, which allows scientists to calculate the age of the rock or mineral.

4. How accurate is the age of the earth based on uranium radioactive decay?

The age of the earth based on uranium radioactive decay is believed to be accurate within a range of 50 million years.

5. Has the age of the earth based on uranium radioactive decay changed over time?

No, the estimated age of the earth based on uranium radioactive decay has remained relatively constant since it was first calculated in the early 20th century.