Writing Symbols in Microsoft Word

In summary, the conversation is about how to write mathematical equations using Microsoft Word. The individual is struggling with writing equations, such as ^{12}_{6}C, and is seeking help on how to do so. They are advised to use LaTex and then convert to Word. Instructions are provided for inserting equations in Word, either by using the Equation Editor or adding the "Insert Equation" button to the toolbar. Other tips, such as using superscripts and subscripts, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a recommendation to use MathType or LaTex for writing equations.
Solidmozza
Hi,
Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.
Ive just been writing up my notes and I can't seem to be able to write things like this: [tex]^{12}_{6}C[/tex] using microsoft word. If anybody could explain how I could write it in this, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can get the following instructions by clicking on "Help" and searching on "Insert Equation":

~

Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.
1. Click where you want to insert the equation.
2. On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create New tab.
3. In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0.
If Microsoft Equation Editor is not available, you may need to install it.
4. Click OK.
5. Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar and by typing variables and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions, integrals, and summations.
If you need help, click Equation Editor Help Topics on the Help menu.
6. To return to Microsoft Word, click the Word document.

~

A better way to do it is to have the "Insert Equation" button as part of your toolbar. To add this button, right click on the toolbar, go down to "Customize ". A window will pop up.

In the "Commands" tab, under "Catagories", click on "Insert".

On the right side of the window, search for "Equation Editor". The button looks like a square root of alpha.

Left mouse click on the button and hold it down. Drag and drop where you want to put it in your toolbar.

Close Window.

When you want to use this button, go to where you want to insert your equation and just click on the button.

You'll probably find, like most people, the equation editor is not all that friendly. It's not easy to insert just anything. Another way of doing this is to only have superscripts and subscripts. You can add those buttons to your toolbar also, then for example, x squared is created by putting in x2, then highlighting the 2 and pressing the superscript button. You can add those to the toolbar by following the directions above and clicking on "Format" instead of "Insert". Superscript and Subscript buttons will then be in the right side of the window, and they can be dragged and dropped into the toolbar.

I use MathType :smile:

[tex]\LaTeX[/tex] is awesome! Check out the following link for a nice beginners tutorial http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/LaTeX/AoPS_L_About.php

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different ways to insert symbols in Microsoft Word?

There are several ways to insert symbols in Microsoft Word. You can use the "Insert" tab and select "Symbol" to browse and insert symbols from the menu. You can also use the "Symbol" button on the "Insert" tab to access the "Symbol" dialog box, where you can choose from different categories of symbols. Additionally, you can use the "Alt" key and enter the numeric code for a specific symbol using the numeric keypad.

2. Can I create my own custom symbols in Microsoft Word?

Yes, you can create your own custom symbols in Microsoft Word. You can use the "Insert" tab and select "Symbol," then choose "More Symbols" at the bottom of the menu. In the "Symbol" dialog box, click on the "Symbols" tab and then click on the "Customize" button. From here, you can choose a symbol to customize or create a new one using the available tools.

3. How can I insert special characters, such as copyright or trademark symbols, in Microsoft Word?

To insert special characters like copyright or trademark symbols in Microsoft Word, you can use the "Insert" tab and select "Symbol." From the menu, choose "More Symbols" to access the "Symbol" dialog box. Then, click on the "Special Characters" tab and select the desired symbol to insert it into your document.

4. Can I use keyboard shortcuts to insert symbols in Microsoft Word?

Yes, you can use keyboard shortcuts to insert symbols in Microsoft Word. For example, you can press "Alt + 0169" to insert the copyright symbol or "Alt + 0153" to insert the trademark symbol. You can also customize your own keyboard shortcuts by going to "File" > "Options" > "Customize Ribbon" > "Keyboard Shortcuts" and selecting a symbol to assign a shortcut.

5. How can I change the font or size of a symbol in Microsoft Word?

To change the font or size of a symbol in Microsoft Word, you can select the symbol and use the "Font" section on the "Home" tab to make changes. You can also right-click on the symbol and choose "Font" to access the same options. Additionally, you can select the symbol and use the "Font" dialog box by going to "Home" > "Font" > "Advanced" to make more advanced changes to the symbol's appearance.