Tips for Creating Physics Diagrams in Adobe Illustrator on Windows Machine

In summary, the author is looking for someone who can help them create simple diagrams in Adobe Illustrator for a physics project. They are not particularly familiar with the program and are running out of time. The author has tried using Powerpoint, but found that it is not up to the task. PiCTeX may be a better option for this kind of project.
NutriGrainKiller
I am working on a project for one of my physics courses and I require some specific illustrations to accompany the manuscript, which will be written in LaTeX. I believe Adobe Illustrator is capable of this, however having never used the program before, I'm not quite sure how to do this. The diagrams I need are very simple, but not simple enough for Microsoft Word to be able to handle. I have actually been able to make several of the diagrams in Adobe Photoshop, however this is highly ineffective and I am running out of time (plus, learning to do this will likely come in handy later). I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing something similar to this - not necessarily specifically for Adobe Illustrator, but on a Windows machine. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you use Powerpoint? It is simple enough, and has all the basic drawing tools that one would need.

If you need a more sophisticated program, then try Microsoft Visio.

Zz.

What kind of diagram is it?
Is it something schematic? Or is it something like a scaled-drawing? Or the result of a calculation [like a directed-graph with nodes]?
Is it a diagram that should be easy to edit or reuse for later?
Should the output be raster or vector graphics?

Is the \picture environment is insufficient?

Last edited:
I think that all DVI viewers have a command like:
\special{isoscale c:/pictures/thepicture.gif, 4.5cm 1.cm}

You can include almost any format of picture in a document. This is not a TeX or LaTeX command. It is ignored by the TeX compiler.
Read the "help" of your viewer.

Illustrator is capable of just about anything, from automatic drawing of basic shapes up to 3-D rendering and animation. The help menu can talk you through anything that you'll need for your project.
If the illustration is something that you could easily draw on paper, you might want to just use the pencil tool and drag it around with your mouse. If so, make sure that you have the fill set to 'none', or else it will colour inside the various curves and corners.
Don't worry about messing up part-way through, because you have almost unlimited levels of 'undo' in the edit menu. (Go into Illustrator>Preferences>General to set the minimum number.)
My approach is to use automatic shapes such as ellipses and rectangles and then add the control points to warp them into whatever shape I want. It can also simplify things for you to make each complete element in its own layer, so it won't be affected by things that you do to others.

ZapperZ said:
Why can't you use Powerpoint? It is simple enough, and has all the basic drawing tools that one would need.

If you need a more sophisticated program, then try Microsoft Visio.

Zz.

I need to be able to draw specific vectors, springs, dotted lines and whatnot. I'm sure I could do this in powerpoint or word, but it wouldn't reach the level of quality that this manuscript will require.

robphy said:
What kind of diagram is it?
Is it something schematic? Or is it something like a scaled-drawing? Or the result of a calculation [like a directed-graph with nodes]?
Is it a diagram that should be easy to edit or reuse for later?
Should the output be raster or vector graphics?

Is the \picture environment is insufficient?

I am essentially modeling coupled harmonic oscillations through hook's law. It is not that easy to reuse because I need to make diagrams of the system at several different times, i.e. the springs will be stretched a variety of different lengths.

I am not sure if it need to be raster or vector, as I am very unfamiliar with illustrator.

NutriGrainKiller said:
I need to be able to draw specific vectors, springs, dotted lines and whatnot. I'm sure I could do this in powerpoint or word, but it wouldn't reach the level of quality that this manuscript will require.

Er.. it doesn't?

I've published a couple of papers in PRL with schematic diagrams that I drew using powerpoint. They look perfectly alright to me.

Zz.

Have you considered PiCTeX? This a free package to draw with TeX. I used it for 20 years. But it is not a "mouse" drawing soft. You must describe all the drawing. In exchange it has a near absolute precision. You can draw any curve giving the coordinates of intermediate points. And it draw ellypses, cercles, arcs, vectors, etc. And you can put formulas and any TeX character where you want. But it is not, as TeX and LaTeX, a WYSIWYG.

My guess is that the key object to draw is a helix.

It shouldn't be too hard to draw by computation the apparatus in various stages by writing a computer program... for example, in Maple or in VPython http://vpython.org/ . Although VPython strength in 3D graphics, you can draw things in 2D... or view a 3D scene from an orthographic view.

To use the VPython approach, you can do a screen capture and obtain a raster graphics output.
To use the Maple approach, you can export to [vector graphics] postscript.

1. What is Adobe Illustrator and why is it useful for creating physics diagrams?

Adobe Illustrator is a vector graphics editor software developed by Adobe Inc. It is useful for creating physics diagrams because it allows for precise and accurate creation of vector graphics, making it easy to include mathematical equations and annotations in the diagrams.

2. How do I create a new document in Adobe Illustrator for my physics diagram?

To create a new document in Adobe Illustrator, click on "File" and then "New". In the dialog box that appears, enter the desired dimensions for your diagram and select "RGB" as the color mode. Click "Create" to create the new document.

3. What are some useful tools and features in Adobe Illustrator for creating physics diagrams?

Some useful tools and features for creating physics diagrams in Adobe Illustrator include the pen tool for drawing precise lines and shapes, the shape builder tool for merging and dividing shapes, and the align tool for arranging objects in a precise manner. The software also has features for adding annotations, mathematical equations, and labels to the diagrams.

4. How can I import images or graphics into my physics diagram in Adobe Illustrator?

To import images or graphics into your physics diagram, simply click on "File" and then "Place". Select the image or graphics file from your computer and click "Place". You can then resize and position the imported image or graphics in your diagram as needed.

5. Can I export my physics diagrams from Adobe Illustrator to other file formats?

Yes, you can export your physics diagrams from Adobe Illustrator to other file formats such as JPEG, PNG, or PDF. To do so, click on "File" and then "Export". Select the desired file format and adjust any other export settings as needed. Click "Export" to save your diagram in the selected file format.