Propagator for a particle in free space

In summary, the two lines in the section of the book the protagonist is reading follow from the first line. The propagator for a particle in free space is given by: |E>=a|p=(2mE)^1/2> + b|p=-(2mE)^1/2>. For arbitrary a,b, the propagator is given by: U(t)=INT( |p><p|exp(-iEt/hbar) from minus infinity to plus infinity where E is the energy eigenvalue=p^2/2m since it's degenerate. The book then evalues the propagator (U) explicitly in the X basis. I've
plmokn2
Sorry for not following the template but as I'm not answering a problem it didn't seem apropriate. Hopefully this is the right place to put this (it seems somewhere between introductory and advanced).

Just when I thought I was getting my head round this stuff I'm completely stuck on how the two lines in the section of the book I'm reading follow from the first line. Any explanation would be appreciated please.

For context it's derived the propagator for a particle in free space (H=P^2/2m) (all in 1 dimension) so:
|E> = a|p=(2mE)^1/2> + b|p=-(2mE)^1/2>
for arbitary a,b.
Giving a propagator:
U(t)=INT( |p><p|exp(-iEt/hbar) from minus infinity to plus infinity where E is the energy eigenvalue=p^2/2m since it's degenerate.

The book is then evaluating the propagator (U) explicitly in the X basis.
I've done the rest in math type to hopefully make it readable:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa266/plmokn_02/prop.jpg
Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
What does <x|p><p'|x> equal?

I'm not sure, sorry. I know the kets labled |p> are the energy eigenvectors, but I'm not sure where that leads.
The second line doesn't look dissimilar to a delta function but there are some extra factors of hbar that have appeared.
Thanks

Have you ever seen [itex]\psi \left( x \right) = \left< x | \psi \right>?[/itex]

If you have, then replace [itex]\psi[/itex] by the momentum eigenstate [itex]p.[/itex]

letting psi take the momentum eigenstate:
[itex] p( x) = \left< x | p \right>[/itex]
so
<x|p><p|x'>=p(x)p(x')
but then I'm not sure how to get from this to an integrated exponential?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Good. Now, what is the explicit form of wavefunction p(x) that is a momentum eigenfunction?

(all the h should be hbar)
[itex]-i h d\psi/dx = p\psi[/itex]
giving [itex]\psi=Ae^{ipx/h}[/itex]
and then when we choose A to normalise it the factor we need comes out. Then writing the second inner product as <p|x'>=complex conjugate(<x'|p>) we get the result in the second line.
Then the last bit is a straightforward integral once the argument of the exponential is written in completed square form.
Thank you

What is a propagator for a particle in free space?

A propagator for a particle in free space is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one position to another in free space over a certain period of time.

How is the propagator calculated?

The propagator is calculated using the Feynman path integral, which takes into account all possible paths the particle could take between the initial and final positions.

What is the significance of the propagator in quantum mechanics?

The propagator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in free space. It is also used in many other areas of physics, including quantum field theory and statistical mechanics.

How is the propagator related to the wave function?

The propagator and the wave function are closely related, as the wave function can be obtained by integrating the propagator over all possible paths between two points. The propagator can also be seen as the transition amplitude between two states, which is related to the wave function.

Can the propagator be used for particles in other environments?

Yes, the propagator can be used for particles in other environments, such as in the presence of a potential or in a bound state. In these cases, the propagator is more complex and takes into account the effects of the external environment on the particle's motion.