Trig functions on complex numbers?

In summary, when trying to perform a trig function on a complex number, such as sin(4i+3), we can use the definitions of cos(x) and sin(x) for complex arguments. This can be done by extending the formulas derived for real values to include complex numbers, resulting in cos(4i+3) = (e-4+3i + e4-3i)/2 and sin(4i+3) = (e-4i+3 - e-4+3i)/(2i). Additionally, the definitions of the hyperbolic trig functions, cosh and sinh, can be used when dealing with complex arguments.
davee123
Out of curiosity, what happens when you try to perform a trig function on a complex number? So, say, sin(4i+3)? Is this undefined since angles are only capable of being real numbers, or is there an agreed behavior for complex numbers?

DaveE

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Even in terms of real numbers, the arguments for the functions sin(x) and cos(x) are NOT assumed to be angles!

Do you know that eix= cos(x)+ i sin(x)?

Then you also know that ex+ iy= ex(cos(y)+ i sin(y))
Of course, then ex- iy= ex(cos(y)- i sin(y))

We can, from those same formulas, derive
cos(x)= (eix+ e-ix)/2 and
sin(x)= (eix- e-ix)/(2i)
While those are derived, originally, with x real, we can easily extend them as definitions for functions of complex x.

In particular, if x= 4i+ 3, then
cos(4i+3)= (e-4+ 3i+ e4- 3i)/2
= (e-4(cos(3)+ i sin(3))+ e4(cos(3)- i sin(3))
= (e-4+ e4)cos(3)/2 + i(e
and
sin(4i+ 3)= (e-4i+3- e-4+ 3i)/(2i)
= (e-4(cos(3)+ i sin(3))/2i+ i(e4cos(3)+ i sin(3))

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also want to look up the definitions of the hyperbolic trig functions, cosh and sinh. Their definitions look a lot like the ones HallsofIvy gave for cos and sin, but without the factors of i. Thus, putting an i in the argument of a sin or cos gives you a cosh or sinh, and vice versa.

[tex]\sin (x+iy) = \sin x \cos iy + \cos x \sin iy[/tex]
[tex]=\sin x \cosh y + i\cos x\sinh y[/tex]

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (i is the imaginary unit).

2. What trigonometric functions can be applied to complex numbers?

The six trigonometric functions that can be applied to complex numbers are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are often abbreviated as sin, cos, tan, cot, sec, and csc respectively.

3. How do you graph trigonometric functions on complex numbers?

To graph trigonometric functions on complex numbers, we can use the polar coordinate system. The real part of the complex number represents the x-coordinate and the imaginary part represents the y-coordinate. We can then use the amplitude and phase shift of the trigonometric function to plot points on the complex plane.

4. What is the relationship between trigonometric functions on real numbers and complex numbers?

The trigonometric functions on complex numbers have similar properties and identities as the trigonometric functions on real numbers. However, the domain and range of these functions are extended to include complex numbers, and the values of these functions can now be complex numbers as well.

5. How do you calculate the inverse trigonometric functions on complex numbers?

To calculate the inverse trigonometric functions on complex numbers, we can use the principal value or the principal branch of the complex logarithm. The principal value is a single value that is returned for a given input, while the principal branch is a set of values that can be returned for a given input. It is important to note that the inverse trigonometric functions on complex numbers may have multiple solutions.