What is the solution to this heavy integral?

• Thread starter janhaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discussed the benefits of regular exercise and maintaining a healthy diet. The speakers emphasized the importance of finding a balance and making small changes in daily habits to improve overall health and well-being. They also mentioned the importance of staying motivated and finding a support system to help achieve fitness goals.
janhaa
Try to solve this integral:

[tex]I=\int \frac{\sqrt{\sqrt{x^4+1}-x^2}}{x^4+1}\,{\rm dx}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Subbing [itex]x^2 =\sinh t [/itex] will give you something like this

[tex] I=\int \frac{\sqrt{\coth t -1}}{\cosh t}{}dt [/tex]

Feed it now to Mathematica. There's about 50% chances it will return a complicated expression in terms of elliptic integrals.

Nice substitution, I managed to solve it now.
Thanks

Apparently the integral is expressible in terms of elementary functions.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is it difficult to find the solution to heavy integrals?

Heavy integrals can be difficult to solve because they involve complex mathematical operations and may not have a simple closed-form solution. They often require advanced techniques and knowledge of calculus to solve.

3. How can I approach solving a heavy integral?

There are multiple approaches to solving a heavy integral, including using substitution, integration by parts, or using special techniques such as trigonometric identities or partial fractions. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

4. Is there a general formula for solving integrals?

No, there is not a single formula that can be used to solve all integrals. Each integral is unique and may require different techniques to solve. However, there are certain rules and properties that can be applied to make solving integrals easier.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help with solving heavy integrals?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help with solving heavy integrals. These include online integral calculators, calculus textbooks, and online tutorials. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of integrals to improve your skills and understanding.