Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth

In summary, the angular velocity of the Earth is approximately 0.26 rad/hr, 6.28 rad/hr, and 0.13 rad/hr.
Mr. Sinister

Homework Statement

The angular velocity of the spinning Earth is approximately...
0.26 rad/hr
6.28 rad/hr
0.13 rad/hr
or none of the above
I am new at this forum as of today! I hope that somebody could show me how I should even begin this! I have no idea!

Homework Equations

1 rev/s= 2pi rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does it take the Earth to make 1 revolution?

It should be 365 days.

Wait that's around the sun.

How many hours are in a day?

24 hours in a day.

OK, you've already stated how many radians are in 1 revolution. So what do you think you should do now? What's angular velocity mean?

It is the rate of change of angular position. So... The rate of change must be hmmm... I thought I had it.

Could the position be 1 revolution and the rate of change 24hrs.?

Mr. Sinister said:
Could the position be 1 revolution and the rate of change 24hrs.?

Yes, you know it goes through 1 revolution in 24 hrs.

Do I put those numbers into an equation?

Well yes you could do it that way. [tex]\omega = \frac{\Delta\theta}{\Delta t}[/tex]

revolutions/hr is a way of stating angular velocity. Look at the units the answers are given in. What do you need to do to get those?

Well, I believe that there is 2pi radians in a circle. That equation is the change in the angle over the change in time right? I don't know if this info even helped me?

I am very grateful for your help! This is great considering the tutor room where I go on campus is insanely full with only one tutor per 30 students!

Yes there are 2pi radians in a one revolution. The answer is asking for units of radians/hr. You now have everything you need. Your angular velocity is then going to be (2*pi radians)/(24 hrs) which is the change in angle over time, like you say. So what number do you get when you put that into your calculator?

Mr. Sinister said:
I am very grateful for your help! This is great considering the tutor room where I go on campus is insanely full with only one tutor per 30 students!

You're welcome. Hopefully I'm being helpful.

.26 rad/hr! Thanks!

You were very helpful! Do you get paid for helping people? Or is it out of pure kindness? I've noticed that there is a lot of homework helpers in the staff section.

I'm glad I could help. We do this on our own time for fun. :biggrin:

Wow! That's Awesome! Thanks Again! I'll be back for sure at a later day!

What is the definition of Angular Velocity?

Angular Velocity is the measurement of the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is the speed at which an object rotates or spins around a fixed point.

What is the Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth?

The Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth is approximately 0.0000729 radians per second, or 360 degrees per 24 hours. This is also known as the Earth's rotational speed.

How is the Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth calculated?

The Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth can be calculated by dividing the Earth's circumference (40,075 km) by the time it takes to complete one full rotation (24 hours). This results in an Angular Velocity of 0.0000729 radians per second.

What factors affect the Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth?

The Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth can be affected by factors such as changes in the Earth's mass distribution, variations in the Earth's rotation axis, and external forces such as tides and atmospheric pressure.

How does the Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth impact our daily lives?

The Angular Velocity of the Spinning Earth has a significant impact on our daily lives. It determines the length of our days and nights, influences the Earth's climate and weather patterns, and is essential in navigation and timekeeping. It also affects the Coriolis effect, which plays a role in ocean currents and wind patterns.