Get Excited! Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the upcoming TV series Wizard's First Rule, based on the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. Some members have read the books and have mixed opinions on them, with some finding them repetitive and contrived while others are excited for the show. It is confirmed that the show will debut on ABC/Disney and will have 22 episodes. The conversation also includes a discussion on the sexual content in the books and the political ideology portrayed in later books, which some found disturbing.
NeoDevin
http://www.terrygoodkind.com/lots/lots.mov" [Broken]

Anyone else here read the books? Anyone else excited to see this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the movie based on the Goodkind series?

I read most of it. It wasn't bad to start but then they started to annoy me because of how repeatative they are and his plots became more and more contrived. At around book nine or so I asked myself why I was still reading them and decided to stop about a third of the way into one. Being that I am a book addict that's pretty bad.

Edit: I might actually go see the movie though. I would almost expect it to be better than the book.

It's a TV series, not a movie. But it should still be pretty cool.

I read the first six books in the series, but Faith of the Fallen just got to the point where I couldn't continue reading, I don't think I even finished the book.

A TV series on which channel?

SciFi.com said:
Raimi's Wizard Gets Green Light

Sam Raimi's syndicated original fantasy TV series Wizard's First Rule is set to debut in all of the top 50 markets in the United States, Variety reported.

The ABC/Disney show, based on the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind, has received a green light for 22 episodes and will begin production in May.
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=50430
Presumably since the ABC/Disney studios are producing it, then it'll show up on ABC/Disney affiliates, and perhaps SciFi.

The books were much more sexually graphic than mainstream Fantasy books.

Most of the fantasy books I have read by men tend to get at least a bit sexual. Even Pratchet's books which tend on the chaste side have their moments. I've not read any of those goth female writers though, such as Rice and Hamilton. I'm sure they're much racier from what I have heard and the fact that they are always on the newstand.

I have no idea how they'll make those thinly veiled and utterly improbable dominatrix characters family friendly.

I remember when I was reading the books at one point I was about ready to chuck the book out the window if he used the term 'sister of the agiel' one more time.

Evo said:
I read the first six books in the series, but Faith of the Fallen just got to the point where I couldn't continue reading, I don't think I even finished the book.
That was the one where he really started to get pompous about his political ideology. In number eight, the last full book I read, he goes so far as to advocate the slaughter of unarmed innocents who place themselves between you and your enemy. They didn't try to move them aside or even just injure them but outright cut them down as if they were the enemy themselves. I found that rather sickening.

1. What is the Sword of Truth series about?

The Sword of Truth series is a fantasy epic written by Terry Goodkind. It follows the story of Richard Cypher, a young woodsman who discovers he is the long-lost Seeker of Truth and must use his magical sword to defeat the evil forces of the Darken Rahl.

2. How many books are in the series?

There are a total of 17 books in the Sword of Truth series, including the prequel "Debt of Bones".

3. Can the books be read as standalone novels or do they need to be read in order?

While each book has its own plot and story arc, it is recommended to read the series in order to fully understand the complex world and character development.

4. Is the Sword of Truth series suitable for all ages?

The series contains mature themes and violence, so it may not be suitable for young readers. It is recommended for ages 16 and up.

5. Are there any adaptations of the Sword of Truth series?

Yes, there was a television series adaptation called "Legend of the Seeker" that aired from 2008 to 2010. However, it deviates from the books and was not well-received by fans.