Where can I get a tiny piece of glass?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the person is looking for a small piece of clear glass, 1mm thick and 11mm by 12mm. They are trying to find a place to buy it, but are not having much luck. They also mention that they have used thin glass for other things in the past, so a shop that sells glass may be a good place to look. They mention a few places that they think may supply the glass, but the thickness is not as important as the clarity. They also mention that they may need to glue two pieces of glass together and that using a scribe is not always the best option.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Odd request time!
I need a tiny piece of clear glass, 12mm by 11mm and about 2mm thick. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? I am trying to think of places that use thin glass for other things, but am not having much luck

edit- maybe a picture framer's shop...

Physics news on Phys.org
matthyaouw said:
Odd request time!
I need a tiny piece of clear glass, 12mm by 11mm and about 2mm thick. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? I am trying to think of places that use thin glass for other things, but am not having much luck

edit- maybe a picture framer's shop...
Buy a tiny picture frame? You can get a scribe to cut glass for cheap at a hobby shop, which might also have the glass that you need.

Scribe and snap a microscope slide.

turbo-1 said:
scribe and snap a microscope slide.

Bingo

turbo-1 said:
Scribe and snap a microscope slide.
I immediately thought of microscope slides and then wondered if there was anywhere you (or atleast anyone without a SigmaAldritch account) could still buy them without being listed as a potential bioterrorist.

Years ago I needed to build a laser trap froma stack of razor blades and discoved that they are almost impossible to get, as are proper metal scalpels.

Good ideas! I think I have a couple of slides kicking around somewhere from my sedimentology classes. I'll have to go see how thick they are and get my hands on a scribe from somewhere. Thanks!

Standard microscope slides are 1.0mm, 'thick' versions are 1.2mm
The thickness isn't that important for the optical performance so the mtolerence is normally only +- 0.1mm os so.

They snap pretty weel, you can do it with any steel tool, you probably don't need a diamond scribing wheel.
Wear gloves+goggles or cover it with a cloth until you get the hang of it!

My slides should be perfect, but I think I'll need to glue two together. The stuff I've seen recommended (Eukitt) is $70 a bottle. Can anyone recommend a cheaper option? It's xylenes & acrylic resin. I don't know what I really need, except it has to be clear and shouldn't distort light. The glass is going in front of a camera sensor.

matthyaouw said:
except it has to be clear and shouldn't distort light.
That depends on how much distortion you can tolerate - whcih depend son the angl eof the beam and the image quality.
But with a very thin gap between clean flat slides you can use almost anything that completely fills the space (ie no air bubbles) supeglue is probably the first thing I would try if you want it to be permanent.

matthyaouw said:
My slides should be perfect, but I think I'll need to glue two together. The stuff I've seen recommended (Eukitt) is $70 a bottle. Can anyone recommend a cheaper option? It's xylenes & acrylic resin. I don't know what I really need, except it has to be clear and shouldn't distort light. The glass is going in front of a camera sensor.
Did you check out just buying the glass for $1-2 dollars at the hobby shop? If you use glue, there will be some distortion, just buy it the right thickness to begin with, then get a cheap scribe for a few bucks. It's just a blade that scores the glass, then a light tap and it's a smooth cut. I used to do it all of the time.

http://www.technologylk.com/product...onal-Heavy-Duty-Diamond-Tip-Glass-Cutter.html

How to cut glass

http://www.abacaglass.com/how_to_cut_glass.htm [Broken]

Some more tips.

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...let's see. Find a display case or window with the right thickness of glass, get a large rock...:uhh: Oh, that's probably not the best approach.

You're going to get a lot of distortion trying to glue two slides together. I don't recommend it.

For such a tiny piece, a shop that sells glass could probably provide a piece that size from just scraps left from other jobs.

check out a lowes or home depot. they may have glass and a cutter.

Proton Soup said:
check out a lowes or home depot. they may have glass and a cutter.

They might even have some broken glass in the back that they'd be willing to give away. (Or at least whatever the UK equivalent of those stores is.)

I don't know if this works... But I heard that you can cut glass with scissors if you do it underwater. It is supposed to damp the supersonic vibrations caused by the cutting.

1. Can I find a tiny piece of glass in nature?

Yes, you may be able to find small fragments of glass in nature, such as beach glass or volcanic glass. However, these pieces may not be suitable for scientific experiments as they may be weathered or contaminated.

2. Can I purchase a tiny piece of glass from a store?

Yes, you can purchase small pieces of glass from stores that sell art or craft supplies. These pieces are often used for mosaic work or jewelry making.

3. Can I obtain a tiny piece of glass from a broken object?

It is possible to obtain a small piece of glass from a broken object, but the quality and size of the piece may vary. It is not recommended to break objects solely for the purpose of obtaining glass fragments.

4. Is it safe to handle a tiny piece of glass?

As with any sharp object, caution should be taken when handling a tiny piece of glass. Wear protective gloves and handle the glass with care to avoid injury.

5. Are there any specialized suppliers for tiny pieces of glass?

Yes, there are suppliers that specifically sell small pieces of glass for scientific purposes. These pieces are often precision cut and free from impurities, making them ideal for scientific experiments.