Gravitomagnetism equations-wikipedia wrong?

• Thread starter tim_lou
  • Start date
In summary: I haven't looked at it, but it's probably more reliable than wiki)I agree with you that review papers are usually a better source, but in this case I'm not sure that the review paper is correct in all its details. They are usually right, but they can also be wrong, and that's why I like to check against other sources when I'm not sure. In this case it seems that the Wikipedia entry is a bit of a hash-up of at least two different conventions, which are actually both mentioned in the review paper. The more common convention (in the sources I've seen) is to make the gravitomagnetic field analogous to the magnetic field in electromagnetism, which is the opposite of
tim_lou
gravitomagnetism equations--wikipedia wrong?

Hi, I read the wikipedia article from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism

(scroll down to the "Maxwell's eq" for gravity)

where it says
[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{B}=-4\pi G\mathbf{J}[/tex]
(neglect the other terms)

however, when I compare that to Sean Carroll's book of GR (spacetime and geometry),
on page 282, (7.31) it reads something like
[tex] \nabla^2 \mathbf{\omega}=-16 \pi G T_{0j}=-16 \pi G \mathbf{J}[/tex]
Carroll defines,
[tex]\mathbf{B}=\nabla \times \mathbf{\omega}[/tex]

so in effect, we have something like
[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{B}=-16 \pi G \mathbf{J}[/tex]

while a factor of two is reasonable since the the force law in Carroll's book is without the 2 in front of B, the additional factor of 4 is just weird... I could not get around that at all. Is wikipedia wrong or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

tim_lou said:
Hi, I read the wikipedia article from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism

(scroll down to the "Maxwell's eq" for gravity)

where it says
[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{B}=-4\pi G\mathbf{J}[/tex]
(neglect the other terms)

however, whenever comparing to Sean Carroll's book of GR,
on page 282, (7.31) it reads something like
[tex] \nabla^2 \mathbf{\omega}=-16 \pi G T_{0j}=-16 \pi G \mathbf{J}[/tex]
Carroll defines,
[tex]\mathbf{B}=\nabla \times \mathbf{\omega}[/tex]

so in effect, we have something like
[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{B}=-16 \pi G \mathbf{J}[/tex]

while a factor of two is reasonable since the the force law in Carroll's book is without the 2 in front of B, the additional factor of 4 is just weird... I could not get around that at all. Is wikipedia wrong or am I missing something?

I also noticed the same oddity recently. Even with their factor of 2 on Bg, something seems to be wrong there. When I tried myself to make gravity look like Maxwell's equations long ago, just assuming an overall factor of 2 was not enough to make it work, and I'm sure there were additional factors of 2 or 4 which appeared in the equations.

My suspicion is that the equations quoted in the Wikipedia case have ignored the curvature of space and are therefore already missing some factors of 2 compared with a more accurate version of those equations. I'll see if I can find time to check it out more carefully later.

OK, I found a useful refresher in arXiv:gr-qc/0311030, "Gravitoelectromagnetism: A Brief Review" by Bahram Mashhoon, referenced in the Wikipedia article, and I've also compared it with chapter 6 of Ciufolini & Wheeler "Gravitation and Inertia". (I don't have the Carroll book here). There definitely seems to be factor of 2 anomaly in one part of the Wikipedia entry compared with the other two. There are also some sign inconsistencies, but I think this is simply because the convention for the direction of the ordinary gravitational field varies between the sources.

The gravitomagnetic fields is called B in Mashhoon's paper, Bg in the Wikipedia entry and H in Ciufolini & Wheeler. It appears that the definitions of these versions of the field are all different, giving H = -2B = 4Bg.

The "Maxwell's equations" equivalent match between Mashhoon and the Wikipedia entry seems to be correct at least as far as factors of two are concerned (although the sign convention for E is reversed).

The amount of gravitomagnetic field due to a rotating body also matches, in that the factor applied to J/r3 is 2 for H, -1 for B and 1/2 for Bg.

However, the Wikipedia entry expression in terms of Bg for the "Lorentz force law" seems to be out by a factor of 2 compared with the other two sources. The cross-product factor in Ciufolini & Wheeler is H and in Mashhoon it is -2B, which means that in the Wikipedia entry it should be 4Bg.

If the quantity which Carroll is using for the field is equivalent to H in Ciufolini and Wheeler, the equation would be consistent with the Wikipedia entry, as this would be equal to 4Bg. The Wikipedia entry is therefore slightly in error in a second way, in that some of the literature uses a field which is four times rather than twice Bg.

Thanks for the reply. that clarifies a lot! so the mistaken part is the wikipedia force law... someone seriously should change it and perhaps mention the different "B" fields occurring in the literature. I am not that good at writing explanations so maybe someone else can take on this task? :biggrin: (plus.. I'm feeling lazy right now)

tim_lou said:
Thanks for the reply. that clarifies a lot! so the mistaken part is the wikipedia force law... someone seriously should change it and perhaps mention the different "B" fields occurring in the literature. I am not that good at writing explanations so maybe someone else can take on this task? :biggrin: (plus.. I'm feeling lazy right now)

I already added a note to the talk page about the apparent error in the force law, to make sure it is at least recorded in some way.

There's a lesson here: don't trust wikipedia for advanced topic like this. Instead, why not use a review paper, like the one Jonathon links to?

1. What is gravitomagnetism?

Gravitomagnetism is a theory that suggests the presence of a gravitational field can create a force similar to a magnetic field. This phenomenon is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and can be observed in objects with high masses and angular momentum.

2. How are gravitomagnetism equations used?

Gravitomagnetism equations are used to calculate the effects of gravitomagnetism in certain situations. They can be applied to objects with high masses and angular momentum, such as planets, stars, and black holes.

3. Why is Wikipedia wrong about gravitomagnetism equations?

Wikipedia is a publicly editable website, and sometimes information may be inaccurate or incomplete. Additionally, gravitomagnetism is a complex and relatively new concept, so there may be ongoing debates and changes in understanding.

4. Is there evidence for gravitomagnetism?

There is some evidence for the effects of gravitomagnetism, such as the precession of the orbit of Mercury, which was predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, further research and observations are needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

5. Can gravitomagnetism be tested?

Yes, gravitomagnetism can be tested through various experiments and observations. Some proposed methods include measuring the precession of the orbit of satellites around a massive object and studying the effects of gravitomagnetism on the polarization of light passing close to a massive object.