I with general unknown (qualitative analysis)

In summary, the student attempted to do an anion analysis, but failed. They also attempted to do a group 3 cation analysis, but did not get any results. They also tested for acetate, but did not get a positive result.
hachi_roku

Homework Statement

this is the second general unknown in lab.
my prof. told me i can have 1 or cations and 1 or 2 anions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cation analysis: i carried out blanket tests by adding na2co3, naoh, and nh4oh to my salt dissolved in water to three different test tubes to see if a precipitate formed. a precipitate formed for all three (so i am not able to eliminate any cations from these blanket tests)

anion analysis: i added agno3 to the salt solution and a white precipitate formed, which says that br-, i-, s2-, po43-, cro42- are absent. i then tried to dissolve the ppt with hno3 and it did not dissolve and according to the test it says i have (cl-, br-, i-, and s2-)

one last note: i get a green solution when i mix my unknown salt with water, and my text says this: "Suppose a salt mixture dissolves readily and completely in cold water to give a green solutiom. A green solution means the presence of copper, nickel, iron (II), or chromium. the mixture cannot, therefore, contain carbonates, sulfites, phosphates, borates, chromates, or sulfides.

i tried to test for group 3 cations (fe, co, ni, mn, al, cr, and zn) but i didn't get anything (but i also think i could have made a procedural error)

any guess at what i may have? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to share the entire procedure with us.

which one?
ok ill try again.

i have an unknown soluble salt. when i add 20 drops water, it turns green.

i tried the 3 blanket tests with the salt to see if i can eliminate any cations. all blanket tests have failed and a ppt came out ( blanket tests reagents: na2co3, naoh, and nh4oh.)

when i tried to do an anion analysis (mixing green solution with agno3) i get a white ppt
i try to dissolve the same ppt with hno3 and it does not dissolve.

i tested for group 1 (silver, mercury lead) by adding the group reagent (hcl) and got no ppt. this means i have no group 1 cations.

i tried group 3 test and nothing came out although i think i messed up because i had a ppt at first, but it went away later on.

i tried a flame test and nothing happened

What green cations do you know?

All "blanket tests" had one thing in common - you have added solutions with high pH.

And I think anion should be more or less obvious.

ok...i tested positive today for chlorine! that eliminates group one cations.

the green cations can be copper, nickel, iron (II), or chromium

side note: i was separating and detecting bismuth (to get to copper) and in doing so, i got a ppt after adding naoh and sncl2. bismuth says it is a jet black ppt...the ppt was white...should i ignore this even though there was a ppt? thanks!

when i was testing for acetate...the confirmatory test was pretty vague, the text says it smells like a fruity nail polish substance...it smelled like ethanol so i couldn't tell. it also said that you can try an alternative test to see if the salt "charrs" and you smell something like burning hair. it kind of smelled like this so i don't know if i have acetate.

1. What is qualitative analysis?

Qualitative analysis is a scientific method used to identify and understand the properties, characteristics, and behaviors of a substance or phenomenon. It involves observing, describing, and interpreting data rather than measuring and quantifying it.

2. How is qualitative analysis different from quantitative analysis?

Qualitative analysis involves non-numerical data and focuses on understanding the qualities and characteristics of a substance or phenomenon. Quantitative analysis, on the other hand, involves numerical data and focuses on measuring and quantifying the properties and behaviors of a substance or phenomenon.

3. What are the steps involved in qualitative analysis?

The steps involved in qualitative analysis may vary depending on the specific field or research topic, but generally include defining the research question, collecting data through observation or interviews, analyzing the data, and interpreting the results to draw conclusions.

4. What are the advantages of using qualitative analysis?

Qualitative analysis allows for a more in-depth understanding of a substance or phenomenon, as it involves detailed observation and interpretation of data. It also allows for the exploration of new ideas and theories, and can provide rich and descriptive data that can be used to inform further research.

5. What are some limitations of qualitative analysis?

One limitation of qualitative analysis is that it is subjective, as it relies on the interpretation of the researcher. This can lead to bias and may affect the validity of the results. Additionally, qualitative analysis can be time-consuming and may not be suitable for studying large populations or complex phenomena.