Symmetric group to metric space

In summary, it is possible to define metrics on a symmetric group of degree n other than the discrete metric. These metrics can be used to describe different characteristics of the group, such as the minimum number of permutations required to get from one element to another or the number of cycles in the permutation. There are also bi-invariant and non-bi-invariant metrics that can be defined, and these can be expressed using weight functions or linear combinations of irreducible characters. The discrete metric specifically refers to a metric where the distance between two elements is either 1 or 0.
Symmetryholic
If I convert a symmetric group of degree n into a metric space, what metrics can be defined except a discrete metric?

If a metric can be defined, I am wondering if the metric can describe some characteristics of a symmetric group.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe [itex]d(\sigma,\rho)[/itex]=minimum number of permutations required to get from [itex]\sigma(1,...,n)[/itex] to [itex]\rho(1,...,n)[/itex], where [itex]\sigma[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] are element of S_n.

quasar987 said:
Maybe [itex]d(\sigma,\rho)[/itex]=minimum number of permutations required to get from [itex]\sigma(1,...,n)[/itex] to [itex]\rho(1,...,n)[/itex], where [itex]\sigma[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] are element of S_n.
If [itex]\sigma, \rho \in S_{n}[/itex], then [itex]\sigma x = \rho[/itex] for [itex]x \in S_{n}[/itex]. I mean, is it just a single time of permuation between elements of [itex]S_{n}[/itex]?

If you happen to have a reference or web link of the above argument, please post it. I will appreciate on it.

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse me, I meant "transposition" instead of "permutation".

I have no reference to the above argument. It was just an idea for you to explore. I thought it had the ring of truth.

Perhaps you can try embedding S_n into the general linear group of some complex vector space. This way you can pull back the Euclidean metric onto S_n. There are a few ways you can get such embeddings; some keywords: (complex) faithful representations of S_n.

Finite metric spaces are necessarily discrete. (Points are closed, and every subset is a finite union of points)

You can define a Hamming distance on permutations:
d( a, b)= n-fix(a-1b)

The distance defined by quasar987 is the Cayley distance in Sym(n):
d( a, b)= n-number of cycles of a-1b

A paper of Deza ("Metrics on Permutations, a Survey",1998) says that if you have a bi-invariant metric, that is, for all a,b,c: d(a,b)=d(ac,bc)=d(ca,cb), then there is a weight function defined by w(a)=d(Id,a). The weight function have the same value for all permutations in the same conjugacy class. So the weight w can be expressed as a linear comb. of the irreducible characters of Sym(n).
Note that Hamming and Cayley distances are both bi-invariant.

There are also not bi-invariant metrics such as the Lee distance. Ask if you want to know more about it, I'm finishing a PhD thesis on this subject :)

Hurkyl said:
Finite metric spaces are necessarily discrete. (Points are closed, and every subset is a finite union of points)

I think the discrete metric specifically refers to the metric d(x,y) = 1 if x =/= y

1. What is the Symmetric Group?

The symmetric group is a mathematical group that consists of all the possible permutations of a set. In other words, it is the group of all possible ways to rearrange the elements of a set.

2. What is a Metric Space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines a distance function between any two points in a set. This distance function must satisfy certain properties, such as being non-negative, symmetric, and satisfying the triangle inequality.

3. What is the connection between the Symmetric Group and Metric Space?

The symmetric group can be used to define a metric on a set. This is done by assigning a distance of 1 to each transposition (swap of two elements) and then extending this definition to all elements of the group. This results in a metric space known as the Cayley distance.

4. How is the Symmetric Group used in Metric Space Analysis?

The Symmetric Group is used in Metric Space Analysis to study the properties and structure of metric spaces. It allows for the classification and comparison of different metric spaces, as well as the development of new metrics and distance functions.

5. Can the Symmetric Group and Metric Space be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the Symmetric Group and Metric Space have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and chemistry. For example, they can be used in data clustering algorithms, network analysis, and the study of molecular structures.