Understanding Undefined Values at x=a in a Function

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of undefined values and limits in mathematics. It is explained that for a function to be undefined at a point, it must be in the form a/0 where a≠0. It is also mentioned that functions in the form 0/0 can have a range of values, all real numbers. The conversation then moves on to discussing a function that is set up to be undefined at a specific point, but cannot be simplified due to the presence of zero and undefined values. An example function is provided and it is shown how to find the limit of such a function. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to simplify the function to be defined at the point where it was previously undefined.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I am aware that for a function that is undefined at a point x=a such as [itex]f(x)=1/(x-a)[/itex]

[tex]\underbrace{lim}_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=\pm \infty[/tex]

But it tends to infinite only because it is in the form a/0, where a[itex]\neq[/itex]0.

Undefined values in the form 0/0 can have a range of values - all reals if I'm not mistaken.

I thus set up a function f(x) multiplied by another function g(x) so that f(a)=0 and g(a) undefined. However, the functions are not in a form where they can seemingly cancel factors of the zero and undefined value.

e.g.
[tex]h(x)=\frac{x+1}{x^2-1}=\frac{1}{x-1}, x\neq \pm 1[/tex]

So, such a function I simply came up with was

[tex]h(x)=x*tan(x+\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

I used a graphing calculator to try understand what was happening around x=0, and it seems that

[tex]\underbrace{lim}_{x\rightarrow 0}h(x)=-1[/tex]

Now I just want to understand why this limit tends to -1, not any other real values.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you might try utilizing the identity:
[tex]tan(x+y)=\frac{\sin(x)\cos(y)+\cos(x)\sin(y)}{\cos(x)\cos(y)-\sin(x)\sin(y)}[/tex]

A simpler example might be

[tex]
f(x) = x \sin\left(\frac 1 x \right)
[/tex]

for which

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0^+} f(x) = 0
[/tex]

Aha

[tex]tan(x+y)=\frac{sin(x+y)}{cos(x+y)}[/tex]

But all I get using this result is

[tex]tan(x+\frac{\pi}{2})=-cot(x)[/tex]

It isn't helping just yet.

Hang on...

So the function now is [tex]f(x)=-\frac{x}{tan(x)}[/tex]

and since the gradients of x and tanx at x=0 are equal, this gives it the value 1?

Indeed.

Or, as you can verify:
[tex]x\tan(x+\frac{\pi}{2})=-\frac{x}{\sin(x)}\cos(x)[/tex]

Well, I remember the result

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{x}{sin(x)}=1[/tex]

and [itex]cos(0)=1[/itex] so I guess we can deduce that:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}-\frac{x}{sin(x)}cos(x)=-1[/tex]

However, I'm sure that the function doesn't exist at the point x=0, so if I were to draw the function, I would leave an empty circle at the point (0,-1)?

Just like my previous mentioned function: [tex]f(x)=\frac{x+1}{x^2-1}[/tex]
if I were to draw this function, I would quickly notice it is the same as [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x-1}[/tex] except [tex]x\neq -1[/tex]

Can I do the same for [tex]f(x)=-x cot(x)[/tex] ? That is to say, can I find this equal to a simpler form (or more complicated if need be) of the same function, that instead is defined at x=0?

What does it mean when a function has an undefined value at x=a?

An undefined value at x=a means that the function is not defined or does not exist at the specific value of x=a. This can occur when there is a discontinuity or a hole in the graph of the function.

How can I determine if a function has an undefined value at x=a?

To determine if a function has an undefined value at x=a, you can graph the function or use algebraic methods such as factoring or finding the domain of the function. If there is a discontinuity or a hole in the graph, then the function has an undefined value at x=a.

What causes a function to have an undefined value at x=a?

A function can have an undefined value at x=a due to a variety of reasons, such as a vertical asymptote, a removable discontinuity, or a point where the function is not defined. These occur when the function has a value that approaches infinity or does not exist at a specific value of x.

Can a function have more than one undefined value at x=a?

Yes, a function can have multiple undefined values at x=a. This can occur when there are multiple discontinuities or holes in the graph of the function at the same value of x.

How can I work with functions that have undefined values at x=a?

To work with functions that have undefined values at x=a, you can use methods such as piecewise functions or limits. These allow you to define the function at the undefined values and work with it accordingly. It is important to be aware of these undefined values and handle them appropriately in mathematical calculations.