Fourier transform of Bessel functions

In summary: ExpertSummarizerIn summary, the conversation discussed the calculations and results of the Fourier transform of the bessel function. Two equations were used, one using the generalized geometric function and the other using cosine and sine functions. The first equation was undefined for certain values of the variable range, while the second equation showed a plot. It was suggested to use the properties of the generalized geometric function to show the equivalence of the two equations. It was also mentioned that the choice of which equation to use depends on the range of values being worked with.
vietha
Hi there,

I am calculating the Fourier transform of the bessel function [tex]J_0^2(bx)[/tex] by using Maple. I tried two equations and get two results.

[tex]\int J_0^2(bx)e^{-j2\pi fx}dx=G^{2, 1}_{2, 2}\left(-1/4\,{\frac {{w}^{2}}{{b}^{2}}}\, \Big\vert\,^{1/2, 1/2}_{0, 0}\right)
{\pi }^{-1}{b}^{-1}[/tex]

and

[tex]\int J_0^2(bx)[cos(2\pi fx)-jsin(2\pi fx)]dx=G^{2, 0}_{2, 2}\left(1/4\,{\frac {{w}^{2}}{{b}^{2}}}\, \Big\vert\,^{1/2, 1/2}_{0, 0}\right)
{b}^{-1}[/tex]

I tried to plot these two functions but only the second one shows a plot. The first one does not show anything and it tells that could not evaluate the function in the variable range (e.g. 0..4).

Could anyone help me to verify this? I want to make sure that the two results are identical. If it is not, which one is correct so I may continue with other calculations of FFT on the bessel functions and on the Generalized geometric functions.

Thanks so much in advance.

VietHa

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear VietHa,

Thank you for sharing your calculations with us. It is always important to verify the results of your calculations, especially when dealing with complex functions like the Fourier transform of the bessel function. I have taken a look at the two equations you provided and have some insights to share with you.

Firstly, both equations are correct, but they are representing different forms of the same function. The first equation is using the generalized geometric function, while the second equation is using the cosine and sine functions. The reason why the first equation is not showing a plot is because it is undefined for certain values of the variable range, as indicated by the error message you received. This is because the generalized geometric function has a specific range of convergence, and if the values fall outside of that range, it cannot be evaluated.

To verify the equivalence of the two equations, you can use the properties of the generalized geometric function to simplify the first equation and obtain the second equation. This will show that they are indeed the same function, just represented differently.

In terms of which one to use for your calculations, it ultimately depends on your specific needs and the range of values you are working with. If your values fall within the range of convergence for the generalized geometric function, then it would be more accurate to use the first equation. However, if your values fall outside of that range, then the second equation would be a better choice.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation for you. Good luck with your further calculations and experiments with the Fourier transform of the bessel function.

1. What is the Fourier transform of Bessel functions?

The Fourier transform of Bessel functions is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time or space into a function of frequency, using a set of complex exponential functions. In particular, the Fourier transform of the Bessel function Jν(x) is given by the Bessel function Kν(ω), where ν is a real number and ω is the frequency variable.

2. How is the Fourier transform of Bessel functions used in science?

The Fourier transform of Bessel functions is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations that involve Bessel functions, as well as in signal processing, where it is used to analyze signals with oscillatory components.

3. Can the Fourier transform of Bessel functions be applied to any function?

No, the Fourier transform of Bessel functions can only be applied to functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being square-integrable and having a finite number of discontinuities. This is because the Fourier transform requires the function to be well-behaved and have a finite energy.

4. Are there any other properties of the Fourier transform of Bessel functions?

Yes, the Fourier transform of Bessel functions has many important properties, including linearity, time and frequency shifting, and convolution. It also has a symmetry property, known as the duality property, which relates the transform of a function to the inverse transform of its dual function.

5. Is there a relationship between Bessel functions and the Fourier transform?

Yes, there is a close relationship between Bessel functions and the Fourier transform. In fact, the Bessel functions can be seen as the eigenfunctions of the Fourier transform, meaning that they are the only functions that remain unchanged after the transform is applied. This makes them essential in solving many problems in science and engineering.