Uniformly Accelerated Motion

In summary, the problem involves a marble rolling off the edge of a table that is 80 cm high with a speed of 20cm/s. The equation used is y = y0 + vy0t - (1/2)gt2, and the variables plugged in are Vx0 = 20cm/s, Vyo = 0, Xo = 0, and Yo = 80cm. The solution involves solving for (a) and converting 80 cm to meters.
bigk2331

Homework Statement

A marble, rolling with speed 20cm/s, rolls off the edge of a table that is 80 cm high. (a) How long does it take to drop to the floor? (b) How far, horizontally, from the table edge does the marble strike the floor?

Homework Equations

y = y0 + vy0t - (1/2)gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that

Vx0 = 20cm/s
Vyo = 0
Xo = 0
Yo = 80cm

I've already plugged in what I know for this equation:

y= 80cm + 0 -(1/2)(9.81m/s)t^2

right now I am solving for (a) and I need to know in what order should I perform these order of operations so I get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is y when the marble hits the floor? Also don't forget to convert 80 cm to meters.

What is Uniformly Accelerated Motion?

Uniformly Accelerated Motion (UAM) is a type of motion in which an object experiences a constant acceleration throughout its entire motion. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time.

What is the formula for calculating UAM?

The formula for calculating UAM is v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How is UAM different from Uniform Motion?

UAM and Uniform Motion are different in that UAM involves a changing velocity, while Uniform Motion involves a constant velocity. In UAM, the speed of the object increases or decreases at a constant rate, while in Uniform Motion, the speed remains the same throughout the motion.

What are some examples of UAM in real life?

Some examples of UAM in real life include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball falling under the influence of gravity, and a rocket taking off into space. These objects all experience a constant acceleration, either due to a force or gravity.

How does air resistance affect UAM?

Air resistance can affect UAM by slowing down the acceleration of an object. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion, which can decrease the overall acceleration. In some cases, air resistance can even cause an object to reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity.