(The Art Of?) Asking Profs about Assigned Homework

In summary, as a good physicist, it is important to be open to receiving help from others and to collaborate in learning. Intelligence is not innate and competence does not mean you cannot seek assistance. Education is not a competition and asking questions shows a drive to understand and learn. When asking for help with assigned homework, it is important to have attempted the problem and show that you have struggled with it. By asking intelligent questions, you can demonstrate your understanding and progress in the subject. Ultimately, questions are a feedback channel for your professors to gauge your understanding and it is important to use them wisely.
bjnartowt
How does it reflect upon your quality as a physicist if you ask a professor questions about homework they assigned that you are stuck on? Obviously, a good (theoretical) physicist cannot be walked through a problem to its solution, but a good theoretical physicist also does not act too stubborn and proud to accept help from others, lest it hinder progress in the "real world" of physics. So, how do you handle this dilemma? I want to prove that I'm a *good* and competent physicist, but also that I'm not so proud that I don't accept help from others.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good physicist can and will receive help.
Collaboration is a very important part of learning.
Intelligence is not innate.
Competence and collaboration are not mutually exclusive.

Education is not a competition. If you don't understand something, get help; Your instructors are there for a reason. The ones who continually ask questions are often the most driven students.

It makes no sense to talk about how good someone is based upon the amount of questions they ask. It is always good to ask questions.

When asking questions about assigned homework, I would just make sure you have attempted the problem or read the book. You want to show that you have actually attempted the problem and can ask an intelligent question about where to go from where you are stuck. It is usually pretty annoying to have a student come in for help when they haven't even attempted the problem or read the relevant sections (this is coming from a math TA).

Yeah the best thing to do is show that you attempted the problem. Also try to remember that the proff/TA is there to guide you to the solution, not give it to you. As long as you treat the session like that they'll be more than happy to help you out.

I agree with what has been posted so far. I think it helps to show that you not only have "attempted" the problem, but to show you have really struggled with it. Ideally, you would be able to say "I've gotten this far; if I could only figure out how to get from here to there, I can take it the rest of the way myself."

Remember, a lot of what you ask helps(your professor that is) in determining how much you understood. Questions are like feedback channels to judge the students. You might impress him/her, or just end up plain in mud with an extremely disgruntled professor.

What is the purpose of asking professors about assigned homework?

The purpose of asking professors about assigned homework is to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings about the assignments, seek guidance on how to approach the work, and ensure that you are meeting the expectations and requirements set by the professor.

How should I approach asking a professor about assigned homework?

When asking a professor about assigned homework, it is important to be respectful and professional. Start by introducing yourself and briefly explaining the purpose of your inquiry. Be specific and clear about the assignment or question you have, and avoid making assumptions or accusations.

Is it appropriate to ask a professor about assigned homework outside of class?

It is generally acceptable to ask a professor about assigned homework outside of class, as long as you are respectful of their time and availability. It is recommended to first check the professor's office hours, email policies, or any other preferred communication methods before reaching out.

What should I do if a professor is unresponsive or unwilling to answer my questions about assigned homework?

If a professor is unresponsive or unwilling to answer your questions about assigned homework, it is best to seek help from a teaching assistant, tutor, or classmates. You can also schedule a meeting with the professor during their office hours to discuss your concerns in person and find a resolution.

Can I ask a professor to change or modify an assigned homework?

It is generally not appropriate to ask a professor to change or modify an assigned homework, unless it is due to extenuating circumstances or you have discussed it with the professor beforehand. It is important to follow the instructions and guidelines given by the professor, and to communicate any difficulties or concerns with them in a timely manner.