Calculating Hydraulic Pressure in a Neutron Star

In summary, the gravitational field inside a neutron star is proportional to the mass inside the star, and is 3.14x10^{31} Pa.
j-e_c

Homework Statement

Assuming a neutron star is made from an incompressible material, what is the hydraulic pressure 50m below the surface?

Mass = 1.98x10^30kg
Radius = 10km

2. The attempt at a solution

g=GM/r^2 = (6.67x10^-11 x 1.98x10^30)/ 10000^2 = 1.32x10^12 m/s^2

P=P[tex]_{0}[/tex] + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh Pa

[tex]\rho[/tex] = m/v = 1.98x10^30 / (4/3 x pi x 10000^3) = 4.73x10^17 kg/m^3

If pressure in space is 0 Pa, then P = 0 + 4.73x10^17 x 1.32x10^12 x 50

= 3.12x10^31 Pa

Is this correct? Thank for your time!

Edit: I think it might be wrong because my equation assumes that space (as a vacuum) and the star are one material (?) :s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the differential equation of hydrostatic equilibrium:

[tex]\frac{dP}{dh} = -\rho g[/tex]

Remember that the gravitational acceleration [tex]g[/tex] changes with [tex]h[/tex]
In your calculation, you assumed that it was constant and equal to the surface gravitation. That is incorrect.
[tex]\rho[/tex], on the other hand, is constant as the star is incompressible.

Thanks, for your reply. Here is my second attempt:

dP = - [tex]\rho[/tex]gdh

[tex]\frac{dP}{dh}[/tex] = -[tex]\rho[/tex]g

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dP}{dh}[/tex]dh = [tex]\int[/tex]-[tex]\rho[/tex]gdh

P = -[tex]\rho[/tex]GM[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex]dh between 10000 and 9950

P = -[tex]\rho[/tex]GM [[tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex]] 10000...9950

= -[tex]\rho[/tex]GM [[tex]\frac{1}{10000}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{9950}[/tex]]

=3.14x10[tex]^{31}[/tex] Pa

I apologize for integrating r with respect to h, if that was confusing.

Last edited:
That too is incorrect. ;) Though you're on the right track!

Remember that a spherical shell contributes no [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex] field inwards. That is to say, when calculating the gravitational field inside the star at a radius [tex]r_0<R[/tex], you must only regard the contribution of the mass inside, at radii [tex]0<r<r_0[/tex], as all the mass on the outside contributes nothing to the gravitational field!

OK, I've got it, thanks RoyalCat!

j-e_c said:
OK, I've got it, thanks RoyalCat!

You're welcome!

As a hint, the gravitational field rises linearly with the radius inside the star, in case you happen to get anything different.

What is pressure in a neutron star?

Pressure in a neutron star refers to the force exerted by the particles, such as neutrons and protons, that make up the star. This pressure is a result of the extreme density of particles within the star.

How is pressure created in a neutron star?

Pressure in a neutron star is created by the immense gravitational force that compresses the particles together. As the star's mass increases, so does the pressure, until it reaches a point where it can no longer support itself and collapses.

What is the importance of pressure in a neutron star?

Pressure is crucial in balancing the gravitational force in a neutron star. Without enough pressure, the star would collapse under its own weight. Pressure also determines the stability and lifespan of a neutron star.

How does pressure affect the behavior of matter in a neutron star?

Pressure plays a significant role in determining the properties of matter in a neutron star. It can affect the temperature, density, and composition of the particles, ultimately influencing the overall behavior and evolution of the star.

Can pressure in a neutron star be measured?

Yes, pressure in a neutron star can be estimated using various theoretical models and observations. However, due to the extreme conditions in a neutron star, it is challenging to directly measure its pressure using traditional methods used in laboratory settings.