Error Propagation: Explaining AB Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses error propagation with the example of two measurements A and B. The formula for calculating the error of a function is mentioned, and it is explained that when two measurements multiply, the error of their product is the sum of their relative errors. The conversation also mentions a more accurate formula for calculating error propagation.
NotStine
Recently I came across an example for working out error propagation, and I'm having trouble following the steps:

A = 100 [tex]\pm[/tex] 1%
B = 10 [tex]\pm[/tex] 1%

AB = (100 [tex]\pm[/tex] 1%).(10 [tex]\pm[/tex] 1%)

=[tex] \left\{1000 \pm \left[\left(100.1\%\right) \pm \left(10.1\%\right)\right]\right\}[/tex] // get confused here, how does this happen?

= 1000 [tex]\pm[/tex] 1.1
= 998.9 - 1001.1
Can somebody please explain to me how the section I marked above appears.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It doesn't happen- what you have is wrong. If [itex]A= 100\pm 1\%[/itex], so that A lies between 99 and 101, and [itex]B= 10\pm 1\%[/itex], so that B lies between 9.9 and 10.1, then AB lies between 99*9.9= 980.1 101*10.1= 1020.1. We could write those as [itex]1000\pm (20\mp .1)[/itex]. 100*10= 1000 is not the midpoint of that interval: it is 1000+ 20+.1 and 1000- 20+ .1

We can think of it this way: the differential of AB is d(AB)= A(dB)+ B(dA). Dividing both sides by AB, dAB/(AB)= dA/A+ dB/B. In this problem dA/A= dB/B= .01 so approximately, dAB/AB= 2(.01)= 2%.

This is an example of an old mechanic's "rule of thumb": when two measurements add, the error of their sum is the sum of their errors; when two measurements multiply, the error of their product is the sum of their relative (or percentage) errors.

I see.

Thank you very much HallsofIvy. This was bugging me for a long time.

There is a general formula to calculate error propagation, which is statistically more accurate:

If you want to calculate the error of a function [tex]y=f(x_{1},x_{2},x_{3},...)[/tex]
With [tex]x_{i}[/tex] being measurements with given errors [tex]\delta x_{i}[/tex]
Then the error of y is given by:

[tex]\delta y=\sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{N}\left| \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{i}}\delta x_{i}\right|^{2}}[/tex]

F.e. here y=f(A,B)=AB

[tex]f_{A}(A,B)=B; f_{B}(A,B)=A[/tex]

so [tex]\delta (AB)=\sqrt{B^{2}\delta A^{2}+A^{2}\delta B^{2}}[/tex]

What is error propagation and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Error propagation is the process of quantifying the uncertainty in a calculated result based on the uncertainties in the input variables. It is important in scientific calculations because it allows us to understand the accuracy and reliability of our results.

How is error propagation calculated?

Error propagation is typically calculated using the propagation of uncertainty formula, which involves taking the partial derivatives of the equation with respect to each variable, multiplying them by their respective uncertainties, and then adding them in quadrature.

What are the sources of error in a scientific calculation?

There are several sources of error in a scientific calculation, including measurement error, human error, equipment error, and environmental factors. It is important to identify and account for these sources of error in order to minimize their impact on the final result.

What is the difference between absolute and relative error?

Absolute error is the difference between the calculated value and the true value, while relative error is the ratio of the absolute error to the true value. Absolute error is typically expressed in the same units as the original measurement, while relative error is expressed as a percentage.

How can error propagation be minimized?

Error propagation can be minimized by improving the precision and accuracy of the individual measurements, using more precise equipment, and reducing sources of systematic error. It is also important to properly account for and propagate the uncertainties in each variable in the calculation.