The Effects of Distance and Mass on the Casimir Force

In summary, the Casimir Force is a quantum effect that is dependent on neither gravitational nor electrostatic attraction. The correct formula for calculating the force is F = [pi]hcA/(480 d^4). While the effect of gravitational attraction between the plates has not been fully explored, it is assumed to be negligible. There has been recent interest in the Casimir effect for applications in Microtechnology.
r637h
This is a simple (and possibly not very bright) question:

We know that F=A/d^4 for the Casimir Force (~10^-7 N for two cm^2 plates).

Does the gravitational attraction between the masses of the plates not figure?

I once thought that this was not an EM effect as such or at least doesn't depend on EM waves passing 'through' between the plates. Is that right?

Are various other possible forces factored out, or simply just don't apply?

I should know the answer, but for now, I'm stumped.

Thanks, Rudi

Physics news on Phys.org
The Casimir Force is dependent on neither graviational nor electrostatic attraction. From what I vaguely remember, it is a quantum effect that can be thought of as being due to a difference in virtual photon pressure.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by r637h
This is a simple (and possibly not very bright) question:

We know that F=A/d^4 for the Casimir Force (~10^-7 N for two cm^2 plates).

Does the gravitational attraction between the masses of the plates not figure?...

Are various other possible forces factored out, or simply just don't apply?
Rudi
Interesting question, Rudi.

Casimir predicted (according to QED) a reduced vacuum energy density between two closely spaced plates (due to truncating of virtual photon modes)which results in an attractive force. That force increases (by the inverse 4th power) as the distance d, between the plates decreases. You formula is not exactly correct. The correct formula is:

F = [pi]hcA/(480 d^4)

h=Planck's; A = area of plates; c= speed of light; d = distance between plates.

To answer your question. Usually any measurement is done with flat neutral plates to null electrostatic force; (the distance must be very small to get a Casimir force that is measureable.) However, I've never seen any calculation done to accommodate adjustments due to gravitational attraction, which I assume would be too small to matter. How...ever, just to make sure, try using small plate mass (say, somewhere between 10 to 50 grams) and 1 cm^2 to calculate grav.F using Newtonian eqn. Depending on the plate thickness, R (distance between the center of plate thickness) could be about maybe .5 to 6 mm. (F=Gmm/R^2)

Then compare that grav. F value with the Casimir Force (using the formula above) OR: set the 2 eqns. equal to one another to see at what plate separation the Casimir force would be comparable to mutual gravitational attraction, (see below.) It may be interesting.

Creator

Gmm/R^2 = [pi]hcA/480 d^4
solving for d and assuming d<<R:
d = 4th root[[pi](R^2)hcA/480 Gm^2]

However then you will need to determine if, at that separation, the force will be great enough to be measureable.

Last edited:
To Creator:

Many Thanks: I didn't realize that the simple equation, which I have seen cited, wasn't correct. Your equation makes a lot more sense, explaining the EM phenomenon relationship.

In particular, thanks for the gravity measure suggestion. (If I don't find it in the literature; we have Igor and Spook, down in the basement, who'll gladly do the experiment for an extra ration of gruel or swill.*) If anything significant is found, I'll let you know.
As you suggest, it may be considered insignificant on paper.

Of course, Casimir effect has gained new prominence lately: Applications in Microtechnology.

*( Sorry, weak attempt at humor.)

Again Many Thanks, Rudi.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Casimir force?

The Casimir force is a physical phenomenon that occurs between two closely spaced parallel uncharged conducting plates. It is due to the fluctuations in the quantum vacuum energy, and results in an attractive force between the plates.

2. How does distance affect the Casimir force?

The Casimir force decreases as the distance between the plates increases. This is because the fluctuations in the quantum vacuum energy have less of an effect at larger distances.

3. What is the relationship between mass and the Casimir force?

The Casimir force is not affected by the mass of the plates. It is solely determined by the distance between the plates and the properties of the vacuum energy.

4. How is the Casimir force measured?

The Casimir force can be measured using a variety of techniques, including atomic force microscopy and optical interferometry. These methods allow for the detection of very small forces between the plates.

5. Can the Casimir force be manipulated or controlled?

While the Casimir force cannot be eliminated, it can be modified by changing the geometry of the plates or by introducing materials with different electromagnetic properties. However, these modifications are still subject to the general principles of the Casimir force and cannot be fully controlled.