Finding Possible Width Range for a Rectangular Solid with a Given Volume

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, a rectangular solid is to be constructed with a special kind of wire along all the edges. The length of the base is twice the width of the base, and the height is determined by the total amount of wire used, which is 40cm. The task is to find the range of possible values for the base width so that the volume of the figure falls between 2 cm^3 and 4 cm^3. After setting up an equation, it is found that there are no whole roots, so the equation is graphed to find the desired interval.
zeion

Homework Statement

A rectangle solid is to be constructed with a special kind of wire along all the edges. The length of the base is to be twice the width of the base. The height of the rectangular solid is such that the total amount of wire used (for the whole figure) is 40cm. Find the range of possible values for the width of the base so that the volume of the figure will lie between 2 cm^3 and 4 cm^3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I define the base width as x, then the length is 2x, height as y, then I write the height in terms of x I have the equation: 4x + 8x + 4y = 40. So y = 10-3x.

Now I solve one side of the inequality

x(2x)(10-3x) = 4

and end up with 10x^2 - 3x^3 - 2 = 0

And can't find any whole roots.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

A rectangle solid is to be constructed with a special kind of wire along all the edges. The length of the base is to be twice the width of the base. The height of the rectangular solid is such that the total amount of wire used (for the whole figure) is 40cm. Find the range of possible values for the width of the base so that the volume of the figure will lie between 2 cm^3 and 4 cm^3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I define the base width as x, then the length is 2x, height as y, then I write the height in terms of x I have the equation: 4x + 8x + 4y = 40. So y = 10-3x.

Now I solve one side of the inequality

x(2x)(10-3x) = 4

and end up with 10x^2 - 3x^3 - 2 = 0

And can't find any whole roots.

There probably aren't any. What they probably want you to do is graph the equation V = -6x3 + 20x2 and find the interval(s) on which 3 <= V <= 4.

1. What is "inequality"?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups within a society. It can manifest in various forms such as income, education, healthcare, and social status.

2. How is inequality measured?

Inequality can be measured using different indicators such as the Gini coefficient, which measures income inequality, or the Human Development Index, which combines measures of income, education, and life expectancy to assess overall inequality within a country.

3. What are the consequences of inequality?

Inequality can have a range of negative consequences, including social unrest, decreased economic growth, and reduced overall well-being for individuals and society. It can also perpetuate cycles of poverty and limit opportunities for marginalized groups.

4. What causes inequality?

Inequality has many complex causes, including historical and systemic factors such as discrimination, unequal access to education and resources, and unequal distribution of power. Economic policies and societal norms also contribute to inequality.

5. How can we address inequality?

There is no one solution to address inequality, but some strategies include implementing policies that promote equal access to education and resources, addressing systemic discrimination, and redistributing wealth through progressive taxation. Ultimately, addressing inequality requires a multi-faceted approach and a commitment to social and economic justice.