What is the inverse of fh(x)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of the function f(h(x)) by switching x and y and solving accordingly. The function is represented as y = 2/x + 5 and the initial step is to replace all x values with 1/x in order to find the inverse.
ghostbuster25
Just want to check that i am doing this question correctly.

f(x) = 2x+5 h(x) = 1/x , x [tex]\neq[/tex]0

Find the inverse of fh(x)

So first i found the function fh(x)

2*1/x+5

then let y = 2*1/x+5 , x [tex]\neq[/tex]0

now this is the bit i can't rememeber how to do, when i try and make x the subject do i need to multiply the 2 on the RHS as well as the y on the LHS?

if i multiply the 2 then i end up with f-1(x)=2x+5/x
If i don't i end up with f-1(x) = x+7

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you do mean f(h(x)), and not fh(x), which to me looks like f(x)*h(x). Under that assumption...

f(h(x)) = 2/x + 5.

So, you have y = 2/x + 5..

To find the inverse, you usually just switch x and y, and solve appropriately.

I'll start with the first step: x = 2/y + 5

Can you carry it through from here?

I can now thanks :)

I see what you have done but I am not sure why 1/x becomes 2/x in this circumstance. I am just trying to understand the mechanics behind it so i can be fully aware. If h(x) was 1/x + 5 would it still be 2/x +5 or 2/x + 10?

your correct in your assumption, my teacher is poor and makes us write it fh(x) instead of f(h(x))

Whereever you saw x, you needed to replace with 1/x. So all you really have is instead of 2*x + 5, you have 2*(1/x) + 5.

If h(x) = 1/x + 5, and f(x) = 2x + 5 then you will actually have f(h(x)) = 2(1/x + 5) + 5 = 2/x + 15.

1. What is the inverse of fh(x)?

The inverse of fh(x) is f^-1(x), which represents the function that undoes the original function fh(x). In other words, it is the function that takes the output of fh(x) and returns the input value.

2. How do you find the inverse of fh(x)?

To find the inverse of fh(x), you must first set the function equal to y. Then, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting equation will be the inverse function, f^-1(x).

3. Is the inverse of fh(x) a function?

Yes, the inverse of fh(x) is a function because each input value (x) has a unique output value (y). This is known as the vertical line test.

4. What is the domain and range of the inverse of fh(x)?

The domain of the inverse of fh(x) is the range of the original function fh(x). The range of the inverse of fh(x) is the domain of the original function fh(x).

5. How do you graph the inverse of fh(x)?

To graph the inverse of fh(x), you can use the graph of the original function fh(x) and reflect it over the line y=x. This will result in the graph of the inverse function, f^-1(x).