The form of a partial fraction decomposition

Also, in the denominator for the second term, you wrote 10^2 instead of 1^2. It should be (x^2 + 1)^2.
rowdy3
For the following problem provide the "form" of the partial fraction decomposition for the given fractional expression. You do not have to solve the undetermined coefficients.

4. 2x^2 - 3x + 8 / x^3 + 9x
I took an x out and it's no x(x^2+9) My answer is A/X + BX+C/x^2+9

5. x- 7 / x^4 - 16
I did (x^2+4)(x^2-4). I factor (x^2 - 4) into (x-2)(x+2). My answer is AX+B/x^2+4 + C/(x+2) + D/(x-2)

6. x^2 - 4x + 6 / (x+3)^2 (x^2+1)^2.
My answer is A/(x+3) + B/(x+3) + CX+D/(x^2+1) + EX+F/(x^2+10^2)
Here's a scan of the problems.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1370/5671323/23539305/392720956.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
rowdy3 said:
For the following problem provide the "form" of the partial fraction decomposition for the given fractional expression. You do not have to solve the undetermined coefficients.

5. x- 7 / x^4 - 16
I did (x^2+4)(x^2-4). I factor (x^2 - 4) into (x-2)(x+2). My answer is AX+B/x^2+4 + C/(x+2) + D/(x-2)

These are correct.

rowdy3 said:
x^2 - 4x + 6 / (x+3)^2 (x^2+1)^2.

When you have repeated roots, you need to reflect that in your decomposition.

So if you had x/(x-a)2 the decomposition would be A/(x-a2) + B/(x-a).

Rockfreak.667 has already answered your question, but how you represent fractions deserves comment.
rowdy3 said:

When you write a fraction as a single line of text, use parentheses when the numerator or denominator contains multiple terms. As you have written this, someone could legitimately interpret the above as
2x^2 - 3x + (8/x^3) + 9x.

Since this isn't what you meant, you should have written this as
(2x^2 - 3x + 8) / (x^3 + 9x).

rowdy3 said:

5. x- 7 / x^4 - 16
Write this as (x - 7)/(x^4 - 16).
And your answer should be written as A/x + (Bx + C)/(x^2 + 9). Similar for the expression below.
rowdy3 said:

6. x^2 - 4x + 6 / (x+3)^2 (x^2+1)^2.
Write this as ( x^2 - 4x + 6)/((x+3)^2 (x^2+1)^2).
Note the extra pair of parentheses used in the denominator. These are used to show that the denominator is (x + 3)^2 * (x^2 + 1)^2.
rowdy3 said:
My answer is A/(x+3) + B/(x+3) + CX+D/(x^2+1) + EX+F/(x^2+10^2)
Here's a scan of the problems.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1370/5671323/23539305/392720956.jpg
The 3rd and 4th terms should be written as (Cx + D)/(x^2 + 1) + (Ex + F)/(x^2 + 1)^2.

1. What is a partial fraction decomposition?

A partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves expressing the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with distinct denominators.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows us to solve integrals and other mathematical problems involving rational functions. It also helps simplify complex algebraic expressions.

3. How do you perform a partial fraction decomposition?

To perform a partial fraction decomposition, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up equations with unknown coefficients for each factor. Finally, you solve these equations to find the coefficients and write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions.

4. What are the different types of partial fraction decompositions?

There are three types of partial fraction decompositions: proper, improper, and mixed. In a proper decomposition, the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. In an improper decomposition, the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator. In a mixed decomposition, the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator.

5. When is a partial fraction decomposition not possible?

A partial fraction decomposition is not possible when the denominator of the rational function cannot be factored into distinct linear or quadratic factors with real coefficients.