How can I find angle A in a right triangle without using a calculator?

In summary, the problem involves a right triangle with known measurements for the hypotenuse, opposite and adjacent sides. The task is to find the value of angle A using Gregory's formula without using a calculator. The attempt at a solution involved using the inverse sine function on a calculator, but there is no easier way to solve the problem. The calculator can do it quickly, but it still uses a similar algorithm as the one given.
wrekoniz3

Homework Statement

a right triangle. hypotenuse is 10, the opposite is 8, and the adjacent is 6

Sine .6

Cosine .8

Tangent .75

i need to find angle A (aka Alpha in the problem) With out using a graphing or scientific calculator.

Homework Equations

i was told to use Gregory;s formula:

http://crazyimage.net/images/untitled.png

the numbers for the problem are plugged in. I am really lost with the whole thing. lol

The Attempt at a Solution

On the ti-83 i do the inverse sine button .6 and i get the answer which is 36.9 degrees.

if the calculator can do it that easy there has to be an easier way to do this...

thanks in advance!

i have a test on this on wednesday :(

-Dom

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the fact that a calculator can do it does NOT prove that there is an "easier" way. A calculator does a lot of tedious computations very quickly. Strictly speaking a calculator does use a faster algorithm than you are given but you would still find it very tedious and slow.

You could, of course, put your calculator in radian mode before you take the inverse tangent if you want to check you calculation (which is pretty accurate).

1. What is the definition of a Triangle TRIG?

A Triangle TRIG is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties. It involves the use of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to solve problems related to triangles.

2. How do you find the missing side of a Triangle TRIG without a Calculator?

To find the missing side of a Triangle TRIG without a Calculator, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. You can also use trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to find the missing side.

3. What is the purpose of using Triangle TRIG in real life?

Triangle TRIG is used in various real-life applications, such as architecture, engineering, navigation, and physics. It helps in determining the height of buildings, the slope of a road, the distance between two points, and the trajectory of a projectile, among others.

4. How do you solve a Triangle TRIG problem involving angles?

To solve a Triangle TRIG problem involving angles, you can use trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. You can also use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines, depending on the information given in the problem.

5. Can you use Triangle TRIG to solve non-right triangles?

Yes, Triangle TRIG can be used to solve both right and non-right triangles. However, the methods and formulas used may differ. For non-right triangles, you may need to use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines to find missing sides or angles.