How math maps real world problems

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Real world
In summary, the attached image on a website discusses entropy and gambling, and shows a graph that represents the probability of getting a certain value. The speaker, who is not well-versed in math and science, questions the accuracy of the graph in relation to real-world situations and asks for a detailed explanation on how math applies to real-world problems. The response clarifies that while the probabilities between the green and red dots are not actually zero, they are too small to be shown on the graph.
jackson6612
Please remember that I'm not a math or science student - quite a layman in these areas. Therefore, please explain your reply in as much detail as possible. Thank you.

I found the attached (modified) image on this webpage:
http://gravityandlevity.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/entropy-and-gambling/

According to the the graph probability for getting a value between 'green' and 'red' dots is zero. Perhaps, it's true in mathematical terms. But I don't think in 'real' world getting a value between 'green' and 'red' dots is impossible. I'm curious to know how math maps real world problems. Please help me.

Attachments

• entropy-1000dice.jpg
    entropy-1000dice.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 484
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The graph is an approximate representation of the numbers. The probabilities between the green and red dots are not zero. However they are so small they can't be displayed on the graph.

1. How is math used to solve real world problems?

Math is used to solve real world problems by providing a systematic and logical approach to understanding and quantifying the problem. By breaking down complex problems into smaller and more manageable parts, math allows us to use equations, formulas, and other mathematical concepts to find solutions or make predictions.

2. What types of real world problems can math help solve?

Math can help solve a wide range of real world problems, including those related to finance, business, engineering, science, and everyday life. For example, math can be used to calculate interest rates, design buildings, predict weather patterns, and measure distances.

3. How does math provide a practical solution to real world problems?

Math provides a practical solution to real world problems by using numbers, symbols, and equations to represent and analyze real world situations. By using mathematical models, we can make predictions and test different scenarios to find the most efficient and effective solution to a problem.

4. How does understanding math concepts help in solving real world problems?

Understanding math concepts is crucial in solving real world problems because it allows us to apply different methods and strategies to approach a problem. By understanding concepts such as algebra, geometry, and statistics, we can use mathematical tools and techniques to solve problems in various fields.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills using math?

To improve your problem-solving skills using math, it is important to practice regularly and to approach problems with a systematic and logical mindset. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller parts, identify key information, and use a variety of mathematical concepts and techniques to find a solution.